[solved] Das Erste HD Audio??? (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I receive the German broadcaster Das Erste via DVBT2 antenna and the audio only ever seems to be in stereo despite some programs claiming to be in Dolby:(. In contrast the audio in ZDF is always detected as Dolby and does play as such on my 5.1 system.:) Is there something wrong with my settings or is Das Erste audio really stereo only?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I don't have DVB-T2 but in general I think "Das Erste" is airing programs in 5.1 over DVB-T2, especially if it claims to be 5.1...

Probably the "wrong" audio track is selected as all German TV station airing many different audio tracks. Only one of those tracks is in Dolby aka AC3 or probably AAC instead on DVB-T2 (2.0 or 5.1 depends on the show but should be recognized as Dolby nevertheless). All other tracks are in Stereo only (on DVB-S all those Stereo tracks are mpeg audio). You can try to change the audio track while watching "Das Erste" and see if 5.1 (Dolby Digital, AC3, AAC,) then is available...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The attached screenshot shows my choice of audio tracks for "Tatort" (recorded) which is indicated to be in Dolby, the first one is default and the second is Audio Description and also in stereo. I get exactly the same on live shows even when not indicated to be in Dolby. ZDF in contrast shows AC3 audio tracks.
    So I guess it is down to how to get the AAC track to play in 5.1?
    de.jpg

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, this is different to the audio tracks on DVB-S2... Then I have no clue, how to fix this, sorry. I never could receive DVB-T here in the middle of nowhere...

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The attached screenshot shows my choice of audio tracks for "Tatort" (recorded) which is indicated to be in Dolby, the first one is default and the second is Audio Description and also in stereo. I get exactly the same on live shows even when not indicated to be in Dolby. ZDF in contrast shows AC3 audio tracks.
    So I guess it is down to how to get the AAC track to play in 5.1?
    View attachment 199039

The TsReader.log will log the channel count for the selected audio stream - attach the log if you can't find the info.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The TsReader.log will log the channel count for the selected audio stream - attach the log if you can't find the info.
    OK not quite sure what I should be looking at. The attached logs are for a quick play of a recording from Das Erste that should be DD but plays in stereo, then Live ZDF which does play in DD. Looking at the TS.Reader log both seem to show "Channels=2" .:confused:

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_27_10_18__19_13.zip
      612.5 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    then Live ZDF which does play in DD
    "Dolby Digital" is not equivalent to multi channel audio. You even can decode a Mono track in Dolby Digital, no problem...
    On DVB-S you always have an AC3 track that is displayed as DD in the AVR. Most of the times those tracks are Stereo with better sound quality than the mpeg audio streams. Sometimes when you're lucky you really will have 5.1 but most of the times it's 2.0... As the sound quality is better than with mpeg audio (mostly it's not even mp3 but mp2) the AC3 track always is the best choice as long as your device is able to play AC3

The recording from "Das Erste" still exists? If yes, then you best have a look with MediaInfo where you will see how many channels the audio tracks really have.

By the way, it is possible that your recording starts with 2.0 audio only (pre- recording time and the airing before the program you want to record is in 2.0 only) and is switching to 5.1 once the "real" program starts. Probably your AVR did not get this and stays on 2.0 MediaInfo also don't see this as it only looks into the first frames of the video to determine the media data of this video file...
    Can you cut out a tiny bit of your recording from the middle where the "real" program is running? If yes, then you can upload it here so we can see if the audio track really is 2.0 or 5.1

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On DVB-S you always have an AC3 track that is displayed as DD in the AVR. Most of the times those tracks are Stereo with better sound quality than the mpeg audio streams. Sometimes when you're lucky you really will have 5.1

Yes it may well be the same with ZDF DVBT2, certainly there are times when I really can tell the audio is 5.1 while at other times, it may well be multi channel stereo despite the AVR indicating Dolby. That is not the case with Das Erste though my AVR always shows it as multi channel stereo and it always sounds like that.

The recording from "Das Erste" still exists? If yes, then you best have a look with MediaInfo where you will see how many channels the audio tracks really have.

I do still have the recording and media info indicates 2 channels but as you mentioned that may well be down to the pre-recording time. I do not seem to have a video editing capability that will simply cut a piece out of the recording without re-encoding or can handle .ts. I'll look further during today but failing that I will take a short recording of this evenings Tatort once it has started fully.

I'm curious to know if anyone else out there is able to get Dolby 5.1 on DVBT2 Das Erste, I doubt I'm the only one getting TV this way, but I guess I should ask in the German forum.:rolleyes:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I do not seem to have a video editing capability that will simply cut a piece out of the recording without re-encoding or can handle .ts.
    There are many free tools out there especially as you don't need a frame accurate cutting for this. A free, simple and easy to use tool is tsMuxeR GUI that also is useful to fix slightly damaged .ts files and even mastering DVD / BD. It's a portable app that didn't need to be installed and can run from everywhere... A little tool everyone operating with .ts files should have laying around somewhere..

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The attached vid.is a short piece of the Tatort recording made using record in VLC. I could not get tsMuxer to function see attached screenshot.
    ts.jpg

Attachments

• vlc-record-2018-10-28-12h43m29s-Tatort.ts-.ts.zip
      5.4 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom