Database Errors causes numerous issues (1 Viewer)

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Amedy,

First Make sure you have run TV-Server Configuration and everything looks OK there - i.e. you've tuned channels on your card etc.

If that's fine then, I'm not sure what's happened but, try the following.

Next look for a file called gentle.config (in c:\Program Data\Team Mediaportal or c:\Documents and Settings\All users\Team mediaportal). There should be 2 copies of this file - one in Mediaportal and one in "Mediaportal TV Server" both should be pretty much the same. if you have scanned for channels sucessfully and completed set up on the TV Server then it likely that the TV Server one is correct. Make a backup of both of these in case I'm wrong :)
    Copy the line starting "<DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString" from it and use it to replace the same line in the gentle.config in the mediaportal directory. It will probably start with "<DefaultProvider name="SQLServer"" save the file and then try mediaportal again. This *should* not affect the skin at all but if it works with an invalid IP then it may solve your problem.

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    Hi David,
    Thanks for your responses. For testing purposes, I uninstalled MediaPortal and MySQL, did some registry cleanup, and removed left-over data/config files. I reinstalled it with SQL Express hoping it would help - it didn't =) the 'invalid ip trick didnt work with it either...

I'm going to remove everything again and do another clean install with MySQL - I've done this a few times already and I feel like I am repeating the sames steps expecting a different result - Wait isn't this the definition of insanity?!

But for reference - the TV Server worked fine in all previous attempts - well despite the fact I usually have to preform a few tricks to get my card to work (e.g. unplug the power from my usb tuner, disable tvservice.exe, reconnect power, wait for tuner to light up, restart tvservice.exe) Oddly enough simply rebooting isn't enough and I have to jump through the hoops to get it to scan. But like I said, once I preform for it - it will work fine. Scan channels, preview works, works in MP as well - etc..

I will report back after I'm done with the install again - have to remove everything first so it's going to be awhile :)

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    David the server settings are the same in both config files:

<DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi,
    Does it work when you haven't configured anything special(on clean install, open config & close it)?
    Also try disable the remote, maybe thats the one causing it?

Regards
    Roy

Roy,
    Your instincts are right on here - if I close IR.exe which is my remotes service - everything functions normally.

Well, hmmm not as much fun without the remote... Any ideas?

With IR.EXE enabled and a clean install the problems still remain. I am using the IRremote.exe set up found here:
    Support for WinTV-HVR-1950 and WinTV-HVR-1500 (Under Accessories)

Seems odd that the remote would cause such issues.. I would appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thank you both again :)

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Amedy, there are quite a few threads centering around problems (and solutions) for the hauppauge remote. I had one myself for a while and remember it was a bit hit and miss with it - I eventually got an MCE remote (because someone gave me it) but did have a working hauppauge remote after changing the ir.exe a few times.

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    The bug came down to this line of code within the irremote.ini file. I find it strange that the remote functioned properly and had such an impact on MP. Especially, considering the only problem is custom lines for the GRNPOWER button and MCEJEWEL. This was a proposed fix to launching MP with the remote itself - which I read on MP forums, so it's odd that it caused so many issues for me.

GRNPOWER={run(C:\PROGRA~1\TEAMME~1\MEDIAPORTAL\MEDIAPortal.EXE)}
    MCEJEWEL={run(C:\PROGRA~1\TEAMME~1\MEDIAPORTAL\MEDIAPortal.EXE)}

Anyhow, can close this thread. Problem is identified and I don't see how it impacted my MP installation is such a profound way - but it's not a big enough issue and I can work around it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    Yes I agree, none of it makes any sense to me, but it's working now - I just can't start MP with my remote. Perhaps I won't have any other problems trying to set up the rest of the features now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom