Database: Refactor MP1 database for multi seat usage (1 Viewer)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    It is also possible scenario, we use Grabber1, saved IMDBUrl, then it stopped working and was deleted, we started using Grabber2, but when we try to update data, we can not do it because IMDBUrl from Grabber1 does not fit to Grabber2. :(

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    That's fine. As I've already said. I'm offering the option. If you aren't interested, then so be-it.
    As said, your proposal is interesting.
    Therefore, there are already many settings in MP1 and, this complicate code because, some options could interfere with others.
    A newer option could be interesting but, only, if it doesn't break the existing MP process.
    I don't think adding a newer option only because "let's users choose" is a good way if, this option breaks the compatibility.
    What happen (for example in DB) if users check this and uncheck it after ?
    When checked, what with all MP functions and all plugins (integrated or third) ?
    For me, you can propose a newer setting to let users choose only, if it change what you are supposed to improve but, without others side effects.
    You have a setting example with multi tuner grab EPG, not integrated yet (choose if single tuner grab or, parallel tuners) without none effect with the rest of process.
    And yes, this is a pain and, we have to break our a*s each time to make it possible.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And this is what I remember, there are other sites from which we get information, but I haven't analyzed them.
    Why I say that in MP1 not everything is as simple as it seems at first sight.
    I have handled this scenario by allowing you to use the Lookup facility for an individual movie to select a different source. This automatically updates the IMDBUrl data.

So, you see, though things may be more complicated than they appear "at first sight", I have already taken that into account and handled it.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I have placed a new version of the software in the first posting (1.29.004) that has several serious changes including:

1) Handling of stacked files;
    2) Fast scanning for non-nfo options;
    3) Fetching actor data when scanning is now optional and can be added later using the fast scanning method.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Tony

P.S. please use a new version of the V6 database (delete the old one).

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I don't think adding a newer option only because "let's users choose" is a good way if, this option breaks the compatibility.
    What happen (for example in DB) if users check this and uncheck it after ?
    I agree with you. This option is there because it gives you much better functionality.

The option of fetch actors is already there, it just didn't work. Now it works whether or not you are fetching for the first time or performing a refresh.

Try it out and you'll see what I mean. Bare in mind that the fast refresh only works when you don't select to scan using the nfo option.

Good luck!

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    The important point about this change is that, when you don't need actor data, the scan takes a few seconds instead of minutes (at least 60 times faster).

Can't see the harm in that when you can still get actor data if you want?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    So, you see, though things may be more complicated than they appear "at first sight", I have already taken that into account and handled it.
    But it won't work for batch data updates of all movies? Or am I wrong? I have a very old database, I sometimes update it when there is a new grabber that gives more data than there is.
    Fetching actor data when scanning is now optional and can be added later using the fast scanning method.
    Here I do not understand, because this option was and is. When we enabled this option in MP1, when we received information about the movie, we automatically received information about the actors. If the option is not enabled, we only get a list of actors and their role. What has changed? How does it work now?
    The important point about this change is that, when you don't need actor data, the scan takes a few seconds instead of minutes (at least 60 times faster).
    That is, if in your version we did not turn on the option to get information about actors, then going to the information about the movie, it will be empty? What about the Producer? The Director? That's a subset of actors, and some of the grabbers get the information that it's a director or producer when they scan the roles for actors.

Last edited:

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    That is, if in your version we did not turn on the option to get information about actors, then going to the information about the movie, it will be empty? What about the Producer? The Director? That's a subset of actors, and some of the grabbers get the information that it's a director or producer when they scan the roles for actors.
    The director is always fetched. It's part of the GetMovieInfo processing. All of the other actor information and the roles for each actor is now optional for both the first fetch and refreshing. This is the bit that takes a very long time and, I thought, would be good to make optional. It's not just me who thinks this, CyberSimian said the same thing earlier in this thread.

However, should you want to fetch all of the actor information for a movie or for all of your movies, you can now do so either using the refresh option or using the Lookup option:

1636481223634.png

In the screen above setting actor data OFF/ON affects both Skip files already in the database and Refresh existing files. When you choose to refresh, and you haven't chosen to use nfo scraper, you only have to click once to refresh all of your existing movies (in the movieinfo table).

1636481236810.png

Notice that the actor data checkbox is now exists in the scan and editor tabs; checking either of them activates the other checkbox as well. I did this so you don't have to keep switching back to the scan tab to change that setting. Both checkboxes are defaulted to OFF. So you have to actively set it to enable not fetching actor data. It could be argued that setting the default to ON might be better though. Perhaps users could indicate which option they prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom