Database sharing (1 Viewer)

Memphys

Portal Member
November 29, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hello,

i've got 2 htpcs in my home, both running Media Portal with My TVSeries; i would like to share the series databases for bot the htpcs so i've tryed setting the path of database location to X:/directory/dbname.db3 in mytvseries settings but everytime i exit and launch the configuration again the path reset itself to the the default one and seems like it saves there anyway. Anyone know how to fix this? Thank You!

daquint

Portal Pro
November 8, 2006
I would like to see how this works as well. I would like to manage my tvseries db from one location and have all my other HTPCs use the master DB file.

RICHARDG

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Canada
I have been doing this for a while. It works unless you have both PC's running at the same time, then MP explodes in a ball of flames. Seems its not designed to DB share. to bad, cause it would be great to put all the databases on a network share, then as you move from HTPC to PC you could stop a movie or tv show and start up where you left off.

Ashius

Portal Member
April 3, 2007
Home Country
I have been doing this for a while. It works unless you have both PC's running at the same time, then MP explodes in a ball of flames. Seems its not designed to DB share. to bad, cause it would be great to put all the databases on a network share, then as you move from HTPC to PC you could stop a movie or tv show and start up where you left off.

Really? I do this all the time, I have the database on my main HTPC, shared on the network. I then have two other machines that hook into the database across the share. Quite often i will be watching a tv show on the main box, stop it, go to one of the other machine and keep watching. I don't close media portal down, but i haven't tried using both machines at the same time.

Just reading your post again and this is only with the MyTV-Series plugin, i haven't tried with other MP databases.

As for the original question, i don't know why its not saving the info. I used UNC ( eg \\server\path\database.db3) paths to specify the database location, instead of mapping a drive. So maybe that is it?

Memphys

Portal Member
November 29, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
I've succesfully set the path name database to the mapped drive, i just needed to close also mediaportal configuration, not only the plugin window config. Now the only problem is that all the banners and images files get saved locally so the db it's shared but i need to run the import anyway on the other htpc to let him get the images; is there a way to set the path of that images on the nas too? Or maybe would be nice to implement them inside the database? Thank you for your reply =)

RICHARDG

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Canada
hmmm.
I guess I am going to have to try again. Perhaps I just had a bad build at the time. To my way of thinking, its the way to go. Then any HTPC is up to date and there is less work for a single machine to do. As for the path to the graphics, it would be nice if that was configurable to point ot a share. Each time I get or create a new fan art I ahve to copy them to all my devices. It would be nicer to simply put ont he share.

I am still however under the impression tht the DB engine isn't designed to support a multi user setup. hmmm

Ashius

Portal Member
April 3, 2007
Home Country
I am still however under the impression tht the DB engine isn't designed to support a multi user setup. hmmm

I didn't think it was either, but i saw the option and gave it ago. I am currently using MP 0.2.3 with an SVN i don't remember the version and the latest TvSeries (not SVN).
I will say that sometimes on the second machine i do get some weirdness, like only one episode for a season will show. That being said the second machine isn't loved very much, and isn't up-to-date so that may be causing the problem. That or the fact its using wireless, or that the HDD was dying. I have just replaced the HDD and upgraded MP on it a few days ago, so ill test it out this week.

Being able to specify the location of fan art and banners would be a great little addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom