DE FloppyDTV S2 not recognized after Standby/Shutdown? (1 Viewer)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Does anybody know if I can get such a cable still anywhere? I am not really experienced enough to produce such a cable myself.

Spooky,

Making such a cable is realy an easy job for everyone. But my best guess would be for you to use my solution and order a 50cm firewire cable and use the firewire connection at the bottom, i haven't had any problem since with my 3 cards. So happy man :D

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/816916-post16.html

Greetings,

Wouter

But does the shorter firewire cable really solve the "sequence 3" problem? The problem is, that the FloppyDTV has trouble turning on due momentarily insufficient or instable power.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Spooky that's a strange problem. Sure you can try the cable mod first. An elco is vey cheap, you can do it yourself. I only had sequence 2, and i have received two cables (with mod) from digital everywhere for my tuners a while ago. I don't see the FloppyDTV S2 in your system specs btw. Did you try an other psu connector, a less used cable? So no harddisk or videocard on it?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Spooky that's a strange problem. Sure you can try the cable mod first.
    Well, it's actually a rather common problem with the FloppyDTV-S2 of the first production batch. And this is also the problem this thread is originally about.

Sure you can try the cable mod first. An elco is vey cheap, you can do it yourself.
    I don't have the necessary equipment for that and it has been a while since I soldered something... or do I not actually have to do that? Is sticking it into the floppy connector so it touches the pins sufficient?

I don't see the FloppyDTV S2 in your system specs btw.
    Yeah, I had some problems with the S2-3200 and got the FloppyDTV rather cheap from eBay, that's why I switched, at least for now. I updated the info now.

Did you try an other psu connector, a less used cable? So no harddisk or videocard on it?
    Not yet, but I will try on the weekend (other cable + other PSU, I may have 1 or 2 sufficient PSUs lying around at home).

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Spooky: Is sticking it into the floppy connector so it touches the pins sufficient? No it's not and will cause a short circuit for sure. Solder, you can remove the pins slightly out and solder the elco on them.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, I now tested it on a different cable from the PSU (on the cable before there were indeed a couple of Hard Disks and a fan), but it still did not work. I then tested it without connecting any hard disks to the PSU (so basically only the Motherboard was connected, plus the FloppyDTV), but it still did not work.

At first I even thought, that the sequence was not the correct one and I feared it's completely bricked may be. But I let it run outside of the system, to inspect the LEDs closer and sequence 3 does indeed occur. ~3 seconds red LED, then the green LED flashes very, very, very, fast and faint and then almost a second where no LEDs are lit and then the whole sequence again.

As it turns out I have no spare PSU lying around (at least not a suitable one) unfortunately.

Silly me, the simplest way to test it, is to simply hang it into another PC of course ;). I just did that (without connecting the FireWire cable, for testing), and it did indeed work in another PC (LED was green after some time). It seems my FloppyDTV exemplar is not "getting along" with the 5V (?) lane of the PSU in the designated PC (without the cable-mod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom