Delete old Covers and Backdrops no longer in movingpictures.db3 (1 Viewer)

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Hi,

There was a request in another forum for a way to delete old Fanart. I've created a small utility to achieve this. The utility asks for the movingpictures.db3 path and then for the thumbs path (both are set to their default folders as per Windows 7 installation). Once these are set up, hit delete, and it will scan Covers and Backdrops folders and any image that is not in use will be sent to the trashcan.

This utility can be downloaded from here (screenshot).

Give it a try and give any feedback.

Regards:)

PS - I recommend that you get the plugin version of this utility as it cleans up more unused images and runs directly in the background of MP.

Thanks (y)

Last edited:

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    PD, file attached here for ease of those who prefer not to download from mediafire.

Regards

Attachments

• FanartCleaner.rar
      415.1 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi m3rcury

I really hate all the popups, so thank you very much for attaching it here.

Regarding its use, very simple and effective, I knew there were 100's of leftover files in the data folder, that cleared 170mb of obsolete covers\backdrops.

Now you just need to work with John (fforde) to add that to MovingPictures automation, certain he would list you as a contributor.

Did you say you were looking next at TVSeries, that would be another fantastic addition to clear up all the junk files that are accumulated over the years.

Regards

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Have enhanced the utility to delete both MovingPictures and TVSeries unused images.

Utility can be downloaded from here or the attached rar.

Attachments

• FanartCleaner v1.0.rar
      464.1 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Would be nice if you can 'detect' the folders based on MediaPortalDirs.xml file, or the default values, as currently your tool only works for Vista/Win7 users and leaves XP users out in the cold. Not that it's the end of the world to 'browse' to the folders, but would be nice if tool can do it.

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Would be nice if you can 'detect' the folders based on MediaPortalDirs.xml file, or the default values, as currently your tool only works for Vista/Win7 users and leaves XP users out in the cold. Not that it's the end of the world to 'browse' to the folders, but would be nice if tool can do it.

RoChess, thanks for the suggestion. Will see if I can do that and then cater for both 32bit & 64bit installations as well ;)

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta

RoChess, thanks for the suggestion. Will see if I can do that and then cater for both 32bit & 64bit installations as well ;)

RoChess, can you give the attached a try since I only have W7 machines. With the changes done to load paths from MediaPortalDirs.xml, it is still working on my setup.

Click here to download the exe from MediaFire or else the rar attached below to this post.

Thanks (y)

Attachments

• FanartCleaner v1.1.rar
      462.1 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom