Status
Not open for further replies.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I disagree - and I hardly think 0.8 development is being interrupted by this thread, of all things :)

I appreciate the hard work they put in to this as much as anyone; this isn't about whether I think they are getting me my free upgrade fast enough or whatever. We're the end users, and most devs like to hear from the people who use the output of their hard work, and some of us are suggesting that categories are the one major feature we'd like to see and if they can be released in a minor version update sooner than so be it.

They don't have to do it, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with asking.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I disagree - and I hardly think 0.8 development is being interrupted by this thread, of all things :)

I appreciate the hard work they put in to this as much as anyone; this isn't about whether I think they are getting me my free upgrade fast enough or whatever. We're the end users, and most devs like to hear from the people who use the output of their hard work, and some of us are suggesting that categories are the one major feature we'd like to see and if they can be released in a minor version update sooner than so be it.

They don't have to do it, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with asking.

You do realize that 0.8 development is a seperate branch of code and the category code would have to be ported back into the 0.7.5 code base to give you what you want, right?

You are basically asking them to almost double the development overhead and code/debug 0.7.6 and 0.8 simultaneously just because you can't wait...

Sorry to sound rude but sheesh, a little patience isn't too much to ask for either.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    No need to be that way dude. No, obviously we don't realize how separate development between the two branches are, and neither do you - it's not unreasonable to think that a 0.7 release to a 0.8 release would be the same branch. We're not all coders here and more to the point don't have the source so how about stepping down from your horse for a bit or find something else to get excited about?

TheGlassjaw

Portal Member
    May 8, 2009
    Home Country
    No need to be that way dude. No, obviously we don't realize how separate development between the two branches are, and neither do you - it's not unreasonable to think that a 0.7 release to a 0.8 release would be the same branch. We're not all coders here and more to the point don't have the source so how about stepping down from your horse for a bit or find something else to get excited about?

I second that. I haven't looked at the source thoroughly, but I know that for almost all of my projects, I keep my code very modular, just so that different features can go live independently of eachother. But even if it the devs don't have the time to release a more incremental update for filtering support, it'd be nice if the damn bug tracker was updated at least. I hate how people tell other users to "look at the issues on the google code page for status updates", yet the most significant feature (filtering) hasn't had an update since aug 5th (which btw said an alpha would be released that week). It doesn't take more than a minute to post up a revised ETA, a little message saying "hey we're busy, so realistically it will be released sometime around November". At least that lets us all know that the release isn't "right around the corner" like we were led to believe since july (or possibly even earlier...)

To the Devs (fforde, etc...), I'm not saying that I'm not appreciative of all the hard work you're putting in. I just wish that you guys would set more realistic timetables if you're busy. Don't lead users on with promises of alpha and beta releases any any now. The estimates have already missed their mark by a month and will most likely be more.

MrCrispy

Portal Member
    January 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Perhaps someone can compile a build off the latest svn using the instructions posted earlier. This would be totally unsupported and unofficial but people can start playing around with the new features. Sort of like a pre-alpha since everyone can't compile the code. We should not ask the devs for this.

Mike1978

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm very thankfull for this great plugin, and I really understand that the devs have their work and their real life but when there is time to post mysterious answers like "you'll see when it's done" or "look at the issue tracker" then there is also time to post real helpfull comments like "it's probably done in november or probably early 2010" instead. Because we are still talking about MovingPictures and not about Duke Nukem Forever, right? :)

Please don't take that too serious, just my opinion.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Perhaps someone can compile a build off the latest svn using the instructions posted earlier. This would be totally unsupported and unofficial but people can start playing around with the new features. Sort of like a pre-alpha since everyone can't compile the code. We should not ask the devs for this.

You may compile one yourself, but the devs don't like to have it posted anywhere because people starting to ask to many questions, help, etc.

Surferosa

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Long time lurker: first time poster here.

Thought I'd drop on with some words of encouragement and thanks. Having been through many of the MC packages available, MediaPortal is my favourite if your prepared to put a little bit of effort in tweaking and customising. Moving Pictures is what puts it above many of the others for me- and added filters will finally take away the only reason for continuing to use XBMC.

So many thanks for all the hard work you have put it- I appreciate the effort you guys put it on this, and Ill be hitting the donate button as soon as I can.

Looking forward to 0.8!

Surf

gshipley

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2008
    From my understanding, the donate button goes to Media Portal Core and not to plugins such as MovingPictures.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom