Developers where are you? (2 Viewers)

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
October 7, 2005
Netherlands
At my work I develop a lot in C#.
I might be able to contribute to MediaPortal, although I haven't (like the others) got a lot of free time for it.

I read some of the pages on the developers guidelines.
What's the best way to start?
Can I just pick a bug from the bugtracker and go fix it? :lol:

thechad

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Geelong, Australia
Home Country
I've been working on a plugin to serve content to XBMC so users can schedule, browse epg and lpay recorded TV on the XBOX.

I know a little C# and Java and recently found Python.

My biggest problem with contributing to MP is that it changes so quickly that it is overly time consuming to keep up (Skinners especially), this will pass as the product becomes more mature. Also I have never coded professionally so I have no idea that if I am doing something correctly or not.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Zyphrax said:
    What's the best way to start?
    Can I just pick a bug from the bugtracker and go fix it? :lol:

Don't laugh, that is more or less the first way to go. :) Better is to ask on IRC. But you can always:
    - Download latest CVS (its quite importand that you always try to use the latest one for your changes!)
    - Make you changes
    - Post your new *.cs files on the patches section of sourceforge:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=107397&atid=647927
    - Optional: write a note to the devs about the patch (here or on IRC)

Flip

diablomadman

Portal Member
    June 24, 2005
    Not a C# dev, but I've set up and run a couple of testing groups.

I've sent PM's on the board as was suggested in one thread but nothing came of it. What's stopped me is not knowing how or if I could help.

Stealth1971

Portal Member
    October 20, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I developed the first ATSC HD plugin for SageTV (HDNE). Using C#,C++, BDA... However, Sage is starting to bug me with their slooow progress. I was about to start my own .NET based PVR project, but looks like there is some good progress here. (I alread have the recording piece done I and the EPG but mine doesnt look near as nice!)

I WANT a SOLID PVR solution! (and one that I can tweak). So I am willing to help with getting ATSC support 100%. I can be a stickler for patterns and best practices!

emp3r0r

Portal Member
    October 6, 2004
    Stealth1971, i'm interested in helping with ATSC... are you in USA? any luck with QAM? which cards have you got working?

Stealth1971

Portal Member
    October 20, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    emp3r0r said:
    Stealth1971, i'm interested in helping with ATSC... are you in USA? any luck with QAM? which cards have you got working?

I have a functioning recorder for Aver180, ATI HD Wonder, and the Fusion cards using BDA. QAM is still not 100% supported by MS yet... Seems to be somewhat proprietary for the vendors? Thats what I have gleaned from the MS docs & DVICO so far.

jcl71

August 2, 2005
    Sweden
    Hello and thanks for all the great work to this date.

Sorry to say I don't have much experience in GUI application development like this and also lacks free time right now but for the record: I daily use MS SQL, ASP.net, VB.net and all this in Visual studio.net using IIS and MSSQL server as platform.

Current project is a 'production statistics to increase team performance'- web solution for the factory I work at and other quite boring stuff. So if there is a need for a developer of web apps using lots of data and presenting using charts and datagrids maybe I can help :D

Don't think i get many responses on that one :wink:

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    jcl71 said:
    Hello and thanks for all the great work to this date.

Sorry to say I don't have much experience in GUI application development like this and also lacks free time right now but for the record: I daily use MS SQL, ASP.net, VB.net and all this in Visual studio.net using IIS and MSSQL server as platform.

Current project is a 'production statistics to increase team performance'- web solution for the factory I work at and other quite boring stuff. So if there is a need for a developer of web apps using lots of data and presenting using charts and datagrids maybe I can help :D

Don't think i get many responses on that one :wink:

I can see that your experiences can be used. I could see a web reports page that shows the most accessed movies, I think I remember (don't ask where) I saw on these forums someone was wanting to know what the least watched movies were. I would expect your database work could be of much help. I would tell you find something that appeals to you and work on a solution instead of asking other what they want. You will get much more satisfaction. Plus for your first MP project it helps just to learn the "lay-of-the-land" to dig into the various areas and it could be you will find that magic project that everyone loves.

Why not work on the music end of the project with more incorporation with AudioTron and other streaming devices? I saw that SlimDevices (http://www.slimdevices.com/) just introduced a very clean looking squeezebox network music player. AudioTron, slimdevices, and RokuLabs (looks like they just brought out a reviced device also) are very much into the music network devices. It would be so cool to have MediaPortal as being that central portal to those devices.

edit: I could see some background work (maybe even additional web interfaces?) with the slimserver (the server that streams to the above music network devices - would be so cool. Have you looked into it - check it out at: http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html - it is opensource!

Best of wishes!

Mike

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    I am a signal processing geek, with mostly Matlab and audio/video/radio experiance. I have just started in a new job where I will do video coding in C for embedded hardware. Let me know if I can be of any use (I can only use so much time on this, but I would like to help out).

best regards
    Knut Inge

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom