Developers where are you? (1 Viewer)

Trev

Portal Member
June 28, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
New to developing

Hi All

I'm new to MP and programming for that matter, although i'v done a bit in vbs. I have just downloaded the free C# package and tutorials from MS a couple of week ago and would like to get involved in a small project/plugin but I’m not sure how or what I need to do, or where to start.

If anyone could be so kind to kick start me, please feel free as I love trying new thing out, I’m thinking on the lines of creating a presentation plugin. Any ideas where I would start.

Thanks

Trev

Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi

I'm a software engineer/system developer. Been working for 8 years now. Mostly with Java (Intellij IDE), mysql & oracle databases. But i've written a SMTP server in C# (Visual Studio 2005) and done some other minor things using Visual Studio. I've also got some C++, C experience but that's old knowledge :)

I'm going to start with a small project of mine concerning the xmltv plugin for the TV-Engine 0.3. Will see how that works out, if it goes well then i might consider doing other things.

/Laban

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Great news Laban,

Let us know how your project goes. It's always good to see new developers come on board.

Just as a general note to developers out there: Get on IRC.

Cheers,

Laban

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2007
    Luleå
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    First version of the updated plugin is available:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/xmltv_2_source_binary_now_available-t25247.html

BTW, does anyone here work with XAML ?

I'm just started to have a look at this, downloaded Expression Blend (the company has a msdn subscription, so why not use it), watching some tutorial videos. I do mainly backend stuff at work so this is purely for fun but it seems really powerful. AFAIK, Media Portal will use XAML at some point (soon ?) which makes it even more interesting.

/Laban

miz

Portal Member
    July 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I am an experienced developer (since 15 jears, last 9 years professionally), started with c++ (after messing around with basic and pascal :D ) and finally got into c# development from the first BETA on (must be from ~2002).

I would really like to get involved into development a bit (though I have not very much time - espacially in summer because of garden work and sunshine outside).

Browsing through the forum and the wiki I found some information, but the really useful information does not seem to be there - a development roadmap, the architecture / design of MP and so on. But on the other hand - maybe I didn't found it.

So my question would be: how could I start to get into development easiest (except reading the coding style, which is very hard to follow, if you are used to other guidelines within your work - whether it is nice or not is just a matter of opinion I guess)?

BTW: Is there a plan to move to .net 3.0 (or .net 3.5 /c#3 when its out) in a mid-term range? Do you want to incorporate WPF (I just starting to learn - read one of the first books and wanted to get playing with it a little), or do you want to stick to your DirectX engine (I think WPF could provide easier means to test because of the strict separation of Non-GUI and GUI and will have greater flexibility for GUI design).

Thanks,
    Michael

ar-jar

Portal Member
    June 8, 2006
    Hi, see my recent post on integrating a custom renderer for judderfree playback. I'd like to contribute doing that. I'm a hobby programmer (wrote my last commercial line of code back in -89) but I've now been learning DirectShow, Direct3D, C++ etc in about two year's time and getting the hang of it. At least what I set to do back then now works. I know how to put together a DirectShow filter down to the allocator level. I have only written a few hundred LOC of C# but it doesn't look too hard coming from C++.
    -Arto

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom