developing with Visual Studio Express ... (2 Viewers)

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi all,

I am having some basic questions:

1. Is it possible to develop a plugin using "Microsoft Visual C# Express Edition" which is available for free? Or do I need the "full" product?

2. Can I do that using the sources from 0.1.3 (I am using 0.1.3 because it is reliable and stable)? Or doesn't that make sense at all?

(I get tons of errors when I try to build MediaPortal.sln or MediaPortalv2.sln)

thanks+regards
WeWe

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Use latest CVS and use MediaPortal.VC#Express.sln.

When 0.1.3.0 was current, we didn't support the express versions, cause they have still been beta. After their release we added it. That's why... :wink:

Almost forgot: Yes, you can use it to develop plugins. But again, you have to use the latest CVS sources, otherwise your plugin is out of date before you begin coding it. Too much has changed since 0.1.3.0.

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
that also means: a plugin developped with latest Version and CVS won't work with 0.1.3???

(I am planning to mess around with Smirnuff's/AllenConquest's "MyBackgroundTV")

thanks+regards
WeWe

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
wewe said:
that also means: a plugin developped with latest Version and CVS won't work with 0.1.3???
Correct. This is because of the references you need in your plugin. And those references have changed since then. Mostly core stuff. Also TV stuff, if you need references to those. That was necessary for refactoring and fixing stuff.

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
maybe you wouldn't be as happy if you knew that I am having no idea of developping c# :oops:

My programming skill is from 1990 - I was a Fortran crack :lol:

Is there a way to do it in Fortran? :wink:

thanks+regards
WeWe

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hehehehehe.... If you get Fortran to support the .NET framework, possible... But I don't think that you'd succeed there... 8)

You're a Kamikaze, aren't you? :lol:

But, btw... My programming skills have been almost as same old as yours have been when i started it again with MediaPortal. Not 15 years, but mine have been about 10 years ago, I guess... So don't be afraid to jump in, it's pretty much fun. :mrgreen:

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
ok guys ... I am not a Kamikaze I am a duffer ... I even not able to get started :?

How to download the sources? I tried WinCVS (2 different versions) and tortoise. Result 3 different errors ... what is an easy way to get the sources?

tortoise says:
connect to cvs.sourceforge.net:2401 failed: Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte.

WinCVS 1.2 says:
CVSROOT: :pserver;username=anonymous;hostname=cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/mediaportal (.rhosts authentication)
TCL is *not* available, shell is disabled
cvs checkout -P mediaportal (in directory C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ww.PROCAESS-GMBH\Eigene Dateien\ProCAEss\CVS)
cvs [checkout aborted]: /cvsroot/mediaportal/CVSROOT: No such file or directory

WinCVS 2.xxx said something with: option --c not allowed (but no --c was in the commandline)

Please help me before I bite my keyboard :evil:

thanks+regards
WeWe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom