[News] Digital Everywhere stops production of fire & floppy-dtv (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Especially the DRM lock down that is looming in the future could be a killing strike. It might end the pay channels for open source based HTPCs completely.

My cable company has already taken the nice step towards dancing with the movie / content provider companies. In their great wisdom they have decided to start to use CAM pairing with SD channels as well (which is not even required by the content providers, as only the "premium" HD content should be protected). This will render CAM + PC combination useless as no PC is going to be found on the approved settop box list. Sad, but nothing we can do about. Similar lockdown is most likely going to start happening with the DVB-S side as well.

I'm not shure what will happen but i think a lot of htpc users would not like to miss their features and so they will start to do illegal things with CAMS / Softcams and stuff like that - but it is forced by the providers.

With CI+ it wont be possible, as both devices are going to be paired and you aren't going to be able to pair the CAM with anything else that has been approved. Of course it might be hacked in few next years, but as you know there are already few non-hacked copy protection schemes used in DVB so only future will tell if it is possible or not to use HTPC to receive channels that have been encrypted with CI+.

And as you know such illegal activities aren't allowed to be talked on MediaPortal forums, so please no discussion on that topic anymore or the posts will be deleted without a warning.

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not shure what will happen but i think a lot of htpc users would not like to miss their features and so they will start to do illegal things with CAMS / Softcams and stuff like that - but it is forced by the providers.

Maybe you're right and this will become the future, not for all HTPC-user, but for some of them. But no discussion about such things here please!
    But the main problem stays on. It's all about money, what is for a company a very important thing, but they loose their focus on the customer.
    Let's hope the customer itself is no silly donkey and let the hope die at last...........

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't want to discuss these things... but you're right cause of the pairing it will be really difficult.

Cressari

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2008
    Konstanz
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't want to discuss these things...

But these things have to be discussed. When not here, then on other places. I dont let me patronize from this greedy providers. I pay for the stuff, how i use it is my thing. Hope, lot of users say no to ci+ and there will be developed "solutions" against this shit. Saying yes to everything is the absolute false way. Saying yes to everything without a little fighters spirit makes a lot of negative things possible - it begins with shit like ci+ ... corrupt politicians ... cheating managers and ends at least in creatures like Hitler, Stalin or Bush!

Cheers // Cress

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This sucks...
    Great product - I was ready to buy another one, and hoped they would provide dual-tuners anytime soon..
    I would also purchase another device instantly if there was a way to share subscription-card and/or CAM between two FloppyDTV's

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to see them go

I bought three of their cards in the last 18 months - do I regret it?

Not a jot.

Not the cheapest but a great company with solid support, shame they've gone.

As for CAM/Card pairing, well if Sky do me in to be honest I just won't bother with them.

For goodness sake - it's only TV after all.

ASCIWhite

Portal Member
    February 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Buy one now

I have Canal Digital in Norway and I have a Digital Everywhere card wich I am tremendously fond of. Would it be a vise move to buy another one now to have if mine breaks one day? If they vanish totaly..

J

joostzilla

I have Canal Digital in Norway and I have a Digital Everywhere card wich I am tremendously fond of. Would it be a vise move to buy another one now to have if mine breaks one day? If they vanish totaly..

I just bought one extra just in case my old one breaks.
    4Launch Shop has a few left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom