DirectTV SHEF IP Control Plugin for TVServer (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does anyone know how/if to get the SHEF IP plug in to work with the mini-genie.
    Why would you want TV Server to control a mini-genie? It doesn't have a tuner, so I don't understand what benefits there would be.

Also, when turning the Main Genie DVR on or off using the plug-in, the channels won't change. I noticed there might be a need for a delay between the on command and channel changes, but I don't know how to change that timing.
    AFAIK there's no setting for a delay. You could add one... but you'd have to modify the plugin code.
    Having said that, the power control function has a bug relating to back-to-back (sequential) recordings. When the first recording finishes, the plugin turns off the power thereby killing the second recording. For that reason I'd recommend you don't use power control.

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The mini-genie may not have a tuner (it relies on the main HR20-44) but it can independently display directv channels and I am able to use it with my mediaportal setup. I would prefer to use the SHEF plugin, otherwise it will be back to IR control.
    I subsequently noticed the power bug, so that is out.
    Some reseach I've completed seems to indicate the mac address is necessary to control the attached mini-genie. I suppose that would need new plug in code.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some reseach I've completed seems to indicate the mac address is necessary to control the attached mini-genie.
    Yes, that's correct. From reading the SHEF protocol, it looks like you can control the mini-genie by sending commands to the main genie. Those commands would be forwarded based on an optional MAC address parameter supplied with the command.

I suppose that would need new plug in code.
    It would indeed. It's possible. The main requirement would be adding a new "client MAC address" field for each of the existing 4 receiver settings. There'd also be the question of how does one figure out the MAC address for a given mini-genie.

Do you know if the MAC address is listed somewhere in the mini-genie menus?
    Also, do you know if SHEF has to be enabled (opt-in) on the mini-genie like it does on the main genie?

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    I have confirmed I can change channels over the network by entering a url with the following formula:

http://IPHR20-44:8080/tv/tune?major=CHANNEL&clientAddr=MINIGENIEMAC

Where:
    IPHR20-44 is the ip address of the main genie dvr
    CHANNEL is the channel number
    MINIGENIEMAC is the MAC address for the mini genie without any colons.

The minigenie has its own IP address on the client table on my router (but is inaccessible at that address) so its MAC address is discoverable.

The address looks like the following (Note all addresses are fictitious)
    http://192.168.1.1:8080/tv/tune?major=202&clientAddr=AA12BB34CC56

That will change the channel on the mini-genie client. However, if you try that syntax for the main genie dvr - it will result in an error. To change the channel on the main dvr all you need is
    http://192.168.1.1:8080/tv/tune?major=202

I did not have to modify any settings on either device to make this work. So, I believe the SHEF is already enabled. Perhaps this is b/c having whole home service is enabled for the genie client boxes.

Just in case, my hardware is an HR44/700 (Main DVR) - and C51-500 (Mini-Genie).

I hope this helps

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for the info - it is indeed helpful. :)

To answer my other questions:
    Maybe a "location" is shown rather than a MAC address...?

Going from the info on DirecTV's website, location (which maps to MAC address) seems to be set as part of the process where the Genie Mini is linked to the main Genie.
    https://support.directv.com/app/ans...leshooting-tips,-how-to-install-an-additional

There's a SHEF request (getLocations) that enables you to get the list of { MAC address + location } for a given Genie.

As a result, I think it would be more user friendly to enable people to enter the location (eg. BEDROOM, LOUNGE) rather than the MAC address.

What do you think?

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Cheers for the info - it is indeed helpful. :)

To answer my other questions:
    Maybe a "location" is shown rather than a MAC address...?

Going from the info on DirecTV's website, location (which maps to MAC address) seems to be set as part of the process where the Genie Mini is linked to the main Genie.
    https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4109/~/wireless-genie-mini:-troubleshooting-tips,-how-to-install-an-additional

There's a SHEF request (getLocations) that enables you to get the list of { MAC address + location } for a given Genie.

As a result, I think it would be more user friendly to enable people to enter the location (eg. BEDROOM, LOUNGE) rather than the MAC address.

What do you think?

I like that idea. You're right it is much more user friendly.

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Is there anything that can be done to update the plugin to incorporate the new http commands used by the Genie mini?

I have no coding experience, but I am willing to offer my set up to test changes.

-LeeTXJD

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Greetings,

Is there anyone who can assist with the coding of the DirecTV SHEF dll? There is a need to include the MAC address for setups with mini-genies. I am willing to offer my setup for testing.

Thanks,
    LeeTXJD

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    BTW, I am willing to pay a reasonable bounty for the update.

Let me know if anyone is interested. $50 Amazon gift card anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom