Directv (1 Viewer)

delicious

Portal Member
July 13, 2006
I actually think that people are rewiring their cables to force it to handshake correctly. I'm not sure on that, a bit more googling will probably show. If you do decide to build the htpc and want to use MP, let us know. I've actually been thinking about tweaking that directv tuning plugin anyways. NO GUARANTEES! :wink:

As far as your pc, I'd recommend at least 1GB of ram and as big a hdd as you can get for your recordings. You only need another 512MB stick of ram and that's pretty cheap. Hard drives are pretty cheap as well, just wait until there's a good sale on them. I'm currently using a 200GB on one and a 300GB on the other.

ca n vt

Portal Pro
July 23, 2006
Thanks Code Monkey I will be going to pick up the usb to serial adapter and null modem cables to try that out. Delicious yeah I'll give this a try I figure if it doesn't end up working I can always try something else that's not really a big deal so anything that you could do or suggest would be helpful just keep in mind I'm a pretty big novice.

I'm slowly but surely picking up bits and pieces. Got two external hard drives this weekend, I'm going to pick up another stick of RAM soon and now have to decide on what tuner card I want. Seems like everyone is using the Haupauge pvr-500. I'm not really going to need to watch much tv at the same time or record more then one show at the same time really just yet though so we'll see. I still haven't had a great look at what's available there yet. I really would like something that has composite in and outs on it rather then just a coax but like I said I don't know what exactly is available.

Well hey thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. This has been one of the more helpful boards I've been on.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ca n tv/delicious,

I am new to MP as well. I have my TV cards working fine and I can watch live TV with my Nvidia DualTV analog card and my Vbox DTA-150 OTA ATSC tuner.

My major hang up at this point is channel changing. I have a DirecTV HTL-HD receiver that worked flawlessly with the TiVo/DVD unit I had for almost 2 years. I was hoping that one of scoop: http://scoop.cybox.nl/mediaportal/tmp/DirecTV_new.zip
    or the Download in the MP download sections: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=4025
    would work.

I have sent logs to both code writers to help me identify why my RS232 DB9 M/F cable to the DB9 port on my DirecTV receiver won't properly change channels. All of my external channels are setup properly in the TV Channels section of the MP configuration (they look like 250000/231, etc).

I'm posting this question to see what the two of you are using/doing/have configured to get channel changing working in your situations. It sounds like we all have different DirecTV receivers but we are all seeking a working plugin. I'm not a coder and the most I can do is perform extensive troubleshooting. I'm also trying to write up a doc to help out future North American MP installers to get their setups up and running quicker than I am :)

So... what are the two of you doing that is/isn't working so far with channel changing?

Also to opusnut and scoop, thanks for looking into my issues with the two different DirecTV serial plugins. Your help is GREATLY appreciated! :D

Hy

ca n vt

Portal Pro
    July 23, 2006
    Sorry I can't really offer too many tips here as I could still use some myself. I currently haven't been able to get this to work since the Haupaugge IR Blaster has no drivers for my box and there still isn't a really simple way to use the usb port on my directv box. I have been making manual recordings and using the autotune feature on the box in conjunction with them. That has worked pretty well but I am currently searching for an IR Blaster that I can program with my remote to work. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I would really love a plugin that would work directly with the box. I will try the one that was suggested earlier in this post soon I just haven't had time as my top priority has been just getting things recording properly first and then I figured I would start playing with this. That time is now.

lrohenaz

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Troy, NY
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

I just ordered direct TV, I've already got MP up and running on my TV in my livingroom, works great for music and downloaded video management. I like it so much it inspired me to purchase a tv tuner (PV-150) and a direct TV package wich will be in by the end of the month.

I know nothing about Direct TV, so if you can humor me here, what are the limitations you are facing with MP and DTV? I mean I understand you're trying to communicate with the DTV box and depending on the model lots of folks are having trouble, but specifically what works and what doesn't? Can you not change channels at all? Can you change them but it's just a more difficult process? Either way i'm sure I'll get it to work well in time, just curious.

P.S. Sorry for the lame question... but I'm an impulse shopper and I ordered a Direct TV package before READING! ugh.

:D

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Welcome to the US MediaPortal users club!

I'm glad you already have the MediaPortal experience under your belt. This will help in the understanding of the software and setup.

The PVR-150 is a well known card for MP support so you should be OK there.

Basically you will need to connect an S-Video cable from the DirecTV receiver (AKA set-top box/STB) to your PVR-150 S-Video IN port. This will provide your card the TV signal it needs in order to record the signal coming in.

The STB that I got already have (Hughes HTL-HD) has a "Low Speed Data" DB9 port on the back of it that worked with serial channel changing with my TiVo unit. I wanted to retain this excellent way of chaning channels on my STB. So far, chagning the channels was the bigest hurdle I had to overcome in order for MP to be a viable option for me

From my experience you have these options regarding channel chaning:

1. Channel changing via a serial cable:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=4025

2. Changing channels via the MyBlaster plugin:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=10038

3. Channel chaning via an external app:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=3311

I tried #2 while I was waiting for a fix to #1 but it didn't seem to work for me. #1 is working for me flawlessly now so I couldn't be happier. I looked into #3 but I was using the old MPExTuneCmd Plugin (which is apparently integrated into 0.2.0.0 already). Again #1 was working by the time I tried to start using this method so I didn't fully test it.

I am working on a document that will be sort of a "US Users Cheaters Guide to MP" specifically geared towards DirecTV. This is not ready yet and I want to fully understand how to write up the wiki documentation, etc before this is public information.

Another EXCELLENT plugin that is a MUST have for US users is the Zap2it plugin written by bradsjm. This will save you a TON of work creating your TV Channels. Just know that you can't autotune an external STB like the DirecTV or Comcase cable receivers. The autotune feature is for OTA or cable feeds that are coming into the home from the wall jack coax cable directly into the PVR card you use.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=8278

These are by far not the only resources available in the forums, just the main ones that got me going.

Again, welcome to the land of MP and DirecTV :)

lrohenaz

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Troy, NY
    Home Country
    Great, thanks for the clarification...

I do not have direct TV service right now, but I do have a receiver (an older one I'm sure: Samsung SIR-TS360). I will be getting a newer receiver when the installer comes, not sure which model yet. If I can help with your documentation based on either (or both) of these models I would be more than happy to. If I'm in the IRC chanel the name is lrohenaz just like the forum name.

Thanks again for the info.

lrohenaz

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Troy, NY
    Home Country
    got my new unit in today

I just got my new DirecTV STB - it is an H20

Any news on weather communication with the box via USB is available yet? According to this thread they were hoping to begin shipping around August 8th?

Once again, my offer stands for help with your documentation, natrlhy. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Here is some information from MythTV that might be used as some guidance regarding utilizing the USB port for serial channel changing:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB

I have no way of testing this but it's a starting point that might lead somewhere.

As for my documentaiton, I've got most of it ironed out and I will post it in a new topic. I'll try and do that tonight when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom