Display driver failed to start, using microsoft basic display driver instead (1 Viewer)

SurrenderMonkey

Portal Member
November 12, 2018
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi

When I start Mediaportal in fullscreen mode on my second display (TV) I get this:
"Display driver failed to start, using microsoft basic display driver instead"

This leads to a blackscreen on my primary (Monitor), and switches the TV to primary display (I'm running a dual extended display setup).

No errors starting Mediaportal in fullscreenmode on my primary (monitor).

I've tried a fresh reinstall of Mediaportal v1.20. No fix. My Nvidia drivers are up to date.

My windows10 is 1803 (build 17134.345). I'm suspecting a windows update issue here. I've run Mediaportal on my current setup for years with no issues. Any ideas?

Attachments

• MediaPortal.log
    30.3 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the logs :)
    Can you redo them and set log level to debug :p
    upload_2018-11-13_22-12-28.png

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This happens to me after Windows update - and I have nVidia too (GTX1050). Check that WIndows hasn't disabled your card because it's been reporting errors, if so then just disable then enable. This will fix it until the next Win update to cause the same problem.

SurrenderMonkey

Portal Member
    November 12, 2018
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah... and now in DEBUG mode:)

My GPU lists as OK in device manager, wjw. Thanks for the tip.

I suspect this isn't related to Mediaportal at all, but I could use some confirmations. The logs show GPU FAILS as expected and graphics device driver error code 43 (dxdiag).

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_14_11_18__20_27.zip
      945.6 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep effectively, this is weird, it detects Nvidia in one log and Microsoft Basic Render Driver in another one.
    Did you try to disable GPU like explain @wjw (even if it's already enabled) and enable back?

One other test, if you set your second screen as primary does this works?
    Also, you can try to set this option :

upload_2018-11-15_7-20-54.png

On my side, I have also 750Ti but I'm on insider WIN10 build but my Nvidia driver is older :
    D3D: GPU 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti' is using driver version '24.21.13.9924'
    This version 399.24.

Yours is newer: 416.34
    D3D: GPU 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti' is using driver version '25.21.14.1634'

Maybe you can try to rollback to an older version? :)

SurrenderMonkey

Portal Member
    November 12, 2018
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I tried all your suggestions, but no fix. Disable/enable GPU, switch primary, use only detected primary and rollback drivers. I'm on version 397.93 now, obviously this version worked before. I did a small windows update also, currently on 1803 (build 17134.407).

I'm running out of steam now. I tried Mediaportal 2.13, and it worked in fullscreen on second monitor (TV). Is this the end? Must I dump my beloved Mediaportal 1 after so many years? Mediaportal 2.2 just got released and from what I understand it is finally possible to edit wrong imports within the client. My library is quite huge with many foreign films and series, so this is very important.

Any last suggestions? Thanks:)

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my first, not my last suggestion will be to use ddu instead of the windows uninstall.:whistle:
    just download it from Wagnardsoft, then boot in safe mode and remove all of the gpu drivers and restart.
    from your logs i suppose you have the problem for about one and a half months :) if so and ya have a backup from early september... try to restore it ;)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :) Except testing on your rigs different bin or something on a remote connection (Teamviewer / anydesk etc.) it will be hard to find the cause but the good news is if MP2 works, MP1 should too :)
    But MP2 is using DX11 and MP1 DX9 so can be there the difference and surely related to Windows update too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom