Display driver failed to start, using microsoft basic display driver instead (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my first, not my last suggestion will be to use ddu instead of the windows uninstall.:whistle:
    This is very good advice but be aware that Win 10 will download and install the default driver immediately it sees the GPU has no driver (the old block for this no longer works) so it is very important to disconnect from the internet before using DDU and don't reconnect till you have finished installing your desired driver.

Mikael Larsson

November 22, 2018
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the exact same problem. As soon as I start Mediaportal the screen go black for a while and then I get the I get the "display driver failed to start". This started this week.

Mikael Larsson

November 22, 2018
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

Here are the debuglogs. I have reinstalled the displaydrivers a several times. The system was working fine up until recently and now,all of a sudden mediaportal crashes the display drivers. First I thought is was a problem with the graphic card but then I realized that Mediaportal was set to start at boot. When I removed that setting; everything worked i fine until I started Mediaportal, then it crashes. I have also tried to revert the graphics drivers to the version that was delivered with the graphic card but that made no difference.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to trouble shot this.

Regards
    Mikael

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_Debug_23_11_18__20_46.zip
      278.7 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    It seems to be related to a weird d3d9.dll issue from windows 10 update on 10.0.17134.1 version.
    There is another's posts about this issue, MP2 is working because it didn't use DX9 but DX11.
    So some guy did replace this d3d9.dll by reinstalling DX9: Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center so worth trying to do that too :p
    In your logs, there is a lot of DWM crash, this is not normal.

Some other fixed by reinstalling VC++ attached one and/or this one :
    AIO Runtime Libraries by Wilenty (Installer/Uninstaller) seems download link is no more available but new one here :Download Visual C++ Runtime Installer (All-In-One) - MajorGeeks (run as admin) it will remove and reinstall all needed VC++ :p

Edit: WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803 - HARDCORE GAMES™

GAMES
    A lot of game problems with earlier releases have been fix ed to some extent. Instead, new problem have arisen making it hard to keep track of what works and does not.

DX9 has to be installed fresh to play older titles. Check the redistributables folders for the full installer as the web installer does not work anymore.

Game issues resolved include

Could you do this and report?
    Thanks.

Attachments

• Visual C++ Redist Installer V56.zip
      22.7 MB

Mikael Larsson

November 22, 2018
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

I have tried all of your suggestions without luck. But then I investigated the dwm.exe crashes and realized that they were related. After som googling I stumbled upon this thread on Microsoft, appcrash Dwm.exe . He had the same problem and a NVIDIA grapic card AND had actually found a solution to the problem. I tried the solution and it worked like a charm. :)

The short version is:
    "So i went into nvidia control panel ->adjust desktop size and position -> check the override the scaling mode set by games and programs setting."

The long version would be something like; It is considered an application bug in the Microsoft thread so maybe it is a bug in Media Portal too. However I think it is somewhat strange that it shows up now on several applications. The solution was posted just a few day ago. Anyhow, the solution may still be in Media Portal and I have included a debug log where everything works fine with the new NVIDIA settings. I don't know if you can do anything with it.

Best Regards
    Mikael

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_26_11_18__22_02.zip
      395.6 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    That's great :)

On mine it's not checked and working, this is weird but still happy that there is a workaround for this, good find :p
    upload_2018-11-27_21-41-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_21-39-34.png
      upload_2018-11-27_21-39-34.png
      85.1 KB

SurrenderMonkey

Portal Member
    November 12, 2018
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Tanks for the interesting info. Sadly no fix for me yet. I did the DDU uninstall in safe mode+no internet. Checked "override scaling mode" in Nvidia control panel, Tried the DirectX webinstaller and the VC++ runtime installer.

Any other suggestions, or do I have to ride this out until (hopefully) a fix in a future Mediaportal or Windows update?

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a related problem, I think.

Since I updated my display drivers to the latest Version using NVidia Geforce Experience, Driver date 11/26/18 V 417.01), MePo is not starting correctly anymore. I get the splash screen, then a white screen and then a restart loop of MePo, always showing splashscreen -> white screen -> restart MP.
    I tried a clean uninstall using DDU, then with windows standard drivers everything back to normal, reinstalled Geforce drivers and the problem came back.
    I will try watchdog and provide logs when Im at home again.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Update: After installing the VC++ with the package provided above, it seems to have fixed thing, though I dont quite understand the cause...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom