[solved] Display needs to be turned on for TV services to function (1 Viewer)

xpand

April 18, 2020
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi, new user. While debugging why I couldn't watch TV on a remote client via the Kodi Mediaportal PVR add-on, I noticed it only worked when my MP2 server host's display was turned on... and it turns out it's not just a problem with remote clients.

Live TV and the ability to record are impossible while the host's display is inactive. Full stop.

The MP2 server host is a HTPC, the display is a TV. I'm running MP2 2.2.2* on Windows 10 x64. Graphics is AMD Vega 8, bundled with a Ryzen 2200G. Software has been updated recently. *(Running 2.2.2 because 2.2.3 did not work with Kodi)

With the TV off:

* I can see the screen via remote viewing software, the MP2 front end program runs fine - but when I try to watch live TV, nothing happens.

* I can view live EPG data, and scheduling can be performed both via the external Kodi client as well as directly on the host via remote viewing software - but no action will take place when the time comes to record.

* I can watch pre-recorded content remotely via the external Kodi client as well as browsing through shared folders in e.g. Windows Explorer from another PC.

* Every other aspect of the PC seems to run just fine whilst the TV is off. With the remote viewing software, I can even play back media running directly on the host, e.g. music in Winamp, video in MPC-HC, or pre-recorded TV in MP2, and see it working in action and hear it with external speakers.

What the hell is going on, and how can I fix it? Not being able to record with the TV off is a deal breaker.

Thanks

xpand

April 18, 2020
Home Country
Australia Australia
Dumb mistake on my part. Forgot my TV signal amplifier was powered by my TV. Whoops.

Plugged it into my HTPC and it all works now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom