display of scheduled recording time induces recording error (1 Viewer)

rabbit001

May 21, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Assume that you have set to record a recurring program, for sake of discussion between 9:00-10:00. Now assume an unusual week occurs, with a two hour version of the program, say between 8:00-10:00. If you go to scheduled recordings, you will see your program listed from 8:00-10:00. If you believe that and do nothing, you will miss half your program, as only the originally programmed 9-10 will be recorded. Presumably Mediaportal has picked up the program name from the 9-10 slot, referenced the Guide, found that the current time is 8-10, and displayed that. I would find either of two solutions acceptable:
1) Automatically adjust the recording time for this single instance to agree with the Guide.
2) Correctly display the actual time that is going to be recording, thereby giving the user the opportunity to see and correct the problem.

This problem is observed on Mediaportal 1.19.0 running on Windows 7.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you go to scheduled recordings, you will see your program listed from 8:00-10:00. If you believe that and do nothing, you will miss half your program, as only the originally programmed 9-10 will be recorded.
    I have just tried this by scheduling a 30-minute manual recording for the second half of a programme that is broadcast daily for one hour. I can confirm that for the start and end times, the "Recording Schedule" panel shows the broadcast start and end times, and not the recording start and end times. However...

If you look closely, you will notice that the red dot at the start or end of each line has a bite taken out for the recording that is incomplete. So MediaPortal has noticed this case, and is signalling this situation to the end user. Possibly the indication could be made more conspicuous. There are limits on what is possible, but I think that the skin author could (say) change the colour of the red recording dot with the bite taken out (for example, make it bright yellow instead of red).

I almost never use manual recording. The recording option that I use most often is "weekly on this day of the week". That will record the programme with the specified name whatever time it is broadcast, and for whatever duration the programme has. So this automatically adjusts for changes from one week to the next.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

rabbit001

May 21, 2018
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I will look for the altered red dot that was mentioned, I have not previously noticed that.

I was using "Record every week at this time". There is no option offered that is worded "weekly on this day of the week". There is an option "Weekly on this channel" which I will try.

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I'm using "always record on this channel" and have no such problems :cool:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was using "Record every week at this time". There is no option offered that is worded "weekly on this day of the week". There is an option "Weekly on this channel" which I will try.
    That is the right option.

With MP, it is possible to edit the language text files to reword the text that appears on panels, and that is what I have done on my system, in order to make some of the text more accurately reflect what it actually means.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom