Displaying high resolution cover art in Now Playing (1 Viewer)

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

While playing with the brand new Fanart Handler plugin, I realised that the "Now Playing" window was showing the ugly low res version of the covert art, very annoying when there are such beautiful background pictures.

FYI here's the link to the fantastic Fanart Handler: Fanart Handler Plugin v1.0 (and music fanart scraper) - MediaPortal Forum

The way I've resolved this problem is the following:

1) Delete all your music thumbs as follow (make backup beforehand):
    Test0.JPG

It will clear C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Music

2) Prevent MyMusic from downloading covert art from the Internet:
    Test1.JPG

When this option is not selected, the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Music\Albums contains 500x500 STRETCHED versions of the 120x120 thumbs automatically downloaded from the Internet. That's why it looks ugly in "Now Playing"

3) Force MyMusic to use the cover art embedded in ID3-Tags:
    Test2.JPG

I have embedded high res cover art all all my music files with the EXCELLENT MPTagThat: MPTagThat - MediaPortal Forum (love it)

Here's the end result:

Anastacia.png

Hope you'll find this useful ...

Cheers,

JMA

Henkie Flits

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great! I was looking for the same thing and since you already found the cause, excellent!

Do you know what the impact is from the Last.fm album and artist art finder? This is a great source and automatic which is great but how will it affect the use of Fanart Handler regarding to picture quality?

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Not too sure as I don't use Last.fm (assuming you're talking about the Audioscrobbler plug-in). Sorry

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The images for album/artist that the audioscrobber plugin finds depends on what is available on last.fm

Last.fm allows a resolution limit high enough for good quality artist/album thumbs, but the quality all depends on what has been uploaded to them, as there is no minimun standard. The resolution limit on last.fm is too low for fanart suitable images.

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Done ... Please let me know if it helps ...

boombastic

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Thank you for the working links to the images.

Following your instructions this is what i get in "Now Playing" with StreamedMP and Fanart Handler installed.

nowplayingm.jpg

The cover is missing on the left-top, what could be wrong?:D

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Have you embedded the hi-res cover art in the music files themselves (ID-3 Tags) as per step 3?

The idea is to force MP to use the ID-3 tag.

Otherwise ... no idea sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom