[DIY] AtmoOrb - A Hue like mood lamp based on Particle Photon with NeoPixel - *Tutorial added* (1 Viewer)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For the brave few who want to try out the latest beta photon UDP sketch:

https://gist.github.com/RickDB/7f9cd149185531998d9a

This utilizes the new multi-threading option which was introduced in 0.4.6, in testing now and if it's stable will be next official release.

// Update

Works without issues so pushed to stable sketch.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Updated AtmoOrb sketches, changelog:

- Recreate client instance in case of WiFi downtime (router down / out of range etc..) , reason why this is needed is because when WiFi was down the code didn't recreate the connection client (UDP or TCP) so would remain unreachable from that point on and required an manual Photon restart.
    - Added connection locks so that it retries once and waits for WiFi to be up and again, saves resources and prevent threads from stacking up.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Last edited:

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Question about the data pin you use - is the schematic correct - so Pin 6 is DAC?

upload_2016-1-9_15-30-9.png

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hm - still confused (ok - it's not difficult to confuse me ...)

- You use datapin 6 in your listing which according to the above posted diagramm is the Pin called DAC. The Sparkboard states to use D6 (what I have seen on the pictures) - so wich Pin are you using for Di?
    - I have a pixles Ring with ws2812b. The Neopixles one has ws2812. I would have gused that your program works with both versions? Or is ws2812b different?
    - Do you know if there is a way to get a Log from the core - I tried it with the several tools (also the setuptool via CMD for windows) to see if it receives anything - but without luck so far. On the MP side there is no log for atmorob?
    - In my planless ways of trying to figure out how electric works (i am a mechancal engeneer .. so don't ask me to read how strong a resistor is :)) I have seen that in some places Sparkfun speaks about the need to have a resitor bevore Di. but I don't think this is need so direct connection should be fine?

Well - until today I had no luck with any of the units I tried - but I won't give up :)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Im guessing the confussion is about whether to use physical pin 6 or labeled pin 6 (D6). Guesswork here, but its probably D6 and not physical pin 6. There is no need for a DAC, and even though that pin will probably be able to do the same digtial tasks you normaly wont use it. If anybody speeks about "digital pin 6" its gonna be D6.

- I have a pixles Ring with ws2812b. The Neopixles one has ws2812. I would have gused that your program works with both versions? Or is ws2812b different?
    No difference. Also, sometimes the vendor just labels it wrong.

On the MP side there is no log for atmorob?
    AtmoLight logs to MediaPortal.log. AtmoOrb included. However not ever single color is being logged. What exactly do you want to monitor?

- In my planless ways of trying to figure out how electric works (i am a mechancal engeneer .. so don't ask me to read how strong a resistor is :)) I have seen that in some places Sparkfun speaks about the need to have a resitor bevore Di. but I don't think this is need so direct connection should be fine?
    The "need" is more of a protection that is optional. WS2812b likes to die quite fast if you do something wrong. So using a resistor helps protect it a bit. But its not needed.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    THX for your answer.

On the MP side there is no log for atmorob?
    AtmoLight logs to MediaPortal.log. AtmoOrb included. However not ever single color is being logged. What exactly do you want to monitor?
    [/QUOTE]

I'd like to see if it does send anything.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Its not logging each individual color change, but its logging when an orb connects to AtmoLight, after that you can assume that colors are being send if your other leds are showing something aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom