[DIY] AtmoOrb - A Hue like mood lamp based on Particle Photon with NeoPixel - *Tutorial added* (3 Viewers)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Problem is most likely that's is losing connection to the AP or crashing due to hardware issues as with the current sketch it shouldn't be able to crash :)
    Would let it run and monitor the Photon internal led state and see if it jumps from breathing cyan (online) -> red (error) -> blue (listening).

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Will do (well I did check when I have recognised that it was not changing teh colors anymore and it was always breathing - but I might have missed the point where it failed). What makes me wonder is how it can happen that it "caches" the colors? For MP it doens't make a difference if the device is online or not (at least that's what I think) so it must be the Photon? Also it reacts immediatly when I use Atmoorb and starts to work (with this past color thing) as soon I do a "LED Off".

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you're using the Hyperion to control them then in its stable release those get re-sent constantly thus setting the color when the Photon is back online (Hyperion beta no longer does this) :) , could be hard to debug that one but would see if you can get to fail consistently first and if it's after a fixed time span.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's odd, multicast isn't cached on the network side typically unless the access point has multicast buffering or other multicast limitations enabled as that can get buffered (throttle with x rate) :)
    Routerboard (Mikrotik) uses multicast buffering by default on its soho devices but per brand it can be different, Apple Airport for instance can have it as well but by default it's off there and allows for a high transmit rate.

Would try the UDP IP protocol in AtmoLight -> Orb tab with IP of the photon for debugging, can use the same sketch.
    There's also an TCP sketch which I believe is still up2date but not preferred as there's some overhead.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    ok - with UDP IP it's working .- and even faster - I have a Philips Testvideo for RGB whitch changes teh RGB Colors and at teh end it a very fast change - UDP Multicast it doen's keep up, UDP IP it does.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Than the router / accesspoint has an multicast throttle :) , if you only need it with AtmoLight it's a good solution as well.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    not as far I know :)

Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin Firmware - at last i couldn't find anything. However - as long as it's working ...

RedStep

June 4, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Great tutorial, but I'm having trouble getting it set up - I have the Photon and the NeoPixel Ring plugged in and the sketch uploaded (sketch is below), but can't get a response from the lights.

When I power up it breaths cyan but that's it - neither the AtmoOrb app, Hyperion, or MediaPortal can get any change. I switched Rings and got the same thing, so I'm assuming I'm missing something with the software side. I have FastLED 3.1.5 and it all compiles/flashes without any errors.

Uploading a simple NeoPixel sketch with a rainbow cycle works just fine, so the LEDs seem to be addressing okay. Maybe it's a UDP/Multicast issue? I left all values as default but haven't used Multicast before. Any help is appreciated!

http://pastebin.com/8UZpsz1u

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom