[DIY] Noob building atmolight for mediaportal (1 Viewer)

Ericjuh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    [DIY] Atmolight for mediaportal

So here i am. Let me introduce myself; i am just the biggest noob when it comes to Do-it-yourself. So if i can do it, you can do it also. Next up; this atmolight wasnt even possible without a lot of feedback from @Lightning303

First, what is the result?

Show: dutch tv childerenshow called: Woezel en Pip

What do we need?

First you need to buy some items. You need a few items before we can start building stuff.

I started with the following items.
    - 50pc 12mm Diffused RGB LED Pixels 5V WS2801
    Order: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pc-12mm-D...rs-Waterproof-Addressable-Color-/150889364507
    - a board that controles the led. In my case i ordered Sedu light. (I'm no german, so i used google translate in the next link to order)
    Order: http://shop.led-studien.de/de/elektronik-bausatze/sedu-board/sedu-lights-board-v2
    - A power supply. 5volt DC 3amp (3amp is the min. but i can be higher)
    Order: just buy it at a local shop or a webshop in your country. For the dutch guys, i ordered this one:
    http://www.allekabels.nl/ac-dc-adapter/7207/1064788/universele-ac-dc-adapter.html
    - 3x Aluminum profile 25mm angle 2 meter (but i can be different on the size of tv you have
    Order: Just buy it at your local shop for buildingmaterials. I'm sure they have this on spare.
    - A lot of nuts and bolts (i used 16 nuts and 16 bolts)

Where do we start
    So there is a change that most of the orders are not deliverd and you need to wait for the leds/board. But you can drive to your local shop to pick up the profile for the frame. So this is the first we build. Trust me, this is by far the hardest part of building your atmolight. If you can do this, you 70 % done.

First measure your height and length of your television. Your ambilight is the extension of your television and it needs to come out of your television:

IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2873.JPG

After measuring you know the height and the length of your frame. I made my frame a big lager, because i wanted the LEDS to have a equal distance from each other. Before cutting the aluminum to your size, be sure to calculate the distance between the LEDS. If you order the LED from my link you have 50 LEDs. That is 16 LEDS top, 9 leds left, 16 leds bottom and 9 leds on the right. Just play with the amount of leds and the size of the frame until you have a equal distance between the Leds.

Then its time to cut! Be sure to use a mounted drill, so you can make the hole's much better.

Because i wanted to have mount for my board i also added a place where i can put away my board when its behind my pc. The end result of the cutting can be seen in the picture below.
    IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2885.JPG

Now comes the drilling... lots of drilling! Because your Led hole's are really think (12mm) you need to drill a whole two times before getting proper result. So that is more then 100 hole's your drilling. Dont drill the hole's all at once, but be sure that the LEDS fit well into the hole's. The leds have a edge that will click into your led hole.

IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2895.JPG

Because i'm a noob with standards, i dont want any reflection buy the color of my aluminum. So i use some black spraying point. This also gives it a less DIY-look.

IMG_2900.JPG

The end result:

IMG_2903.JPG

Oke, now that this is done. Lets go ahead with the Leds. At first i don't had any clue's how to connect. Because you will receive 2x 25 leds you need to connect them to each other. The first and second can be easily connected, you need to do some fixing on the 5V. Also bare in mind that the colors indicated on the leds are different from the Sedu board.

uMOCrBq.png

Color indication of the LEDS:
    • Red=5V DC
    • Green=Clock
    • Yellow=Data
    • Blue=Ground
    Color indication of the seduboard
    • Black:GND (-)
    • Red: 5V (+)
    • Green: Data
    • Blue:Clock
    So watch out for the blue color!!!

IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2905.JPG

In the picture above i did it noobstyle, but later on i solder it to each other. But for testing purpose do it as above.

Oke, now its the moment we all be waiting for.. click the leds into the frame.

IMG_2906.JPG

There you go.. At this point you can have 2 feelings:
    - Amazing! even if the project fails after this part you have cool looking frame
    - Shitty! don't worry. It sits behind your pc.

Now, mount it to you tv and insert the cabel to the USB. Turn on your pc and you will see this:

You ask yourself what your doing wrong.. i can give you the answer, nothing! Your leds work perfect. There is a default state of acting when your pc isn't controlling the leds. At default it is flashing, but you want them to be black.

What you need to do is flash your Sedu to have the default colors right. Also this is the place where you flash your board to be RGB or BGR. So if you see a red color on your screen and you see a blue light, you selected the wrong RGB/BGR.

Next up is setting up Atmowin. Here is a example how you can configure it:
    Note: a shameless rip from @Lightning303 But currently i forgot to make a screenshot of it and my pc is downstairs. I will replace this one later.

177005_AtmoWin_Config.png

Now, if everything is going well you can enable live mode. After clicking on that your leds will work with your pc. So go ahead, search a nice test video on youtube and see if this is working fine. You notice that your pc is feeling a bit slower.

Now that we have your atmolight working we need to enable them with mediaportal. Download -- this -- plugin and install. Configurate it. It isnt hard. Just set your location to atmowin. Also read out this post how to configurate your remote controle to enable or disable your Leds.

What's up next for me?
    I still wanted to do two things:
    1ste. i didn't had time to calibrate the LEDS very well. So that is still on my wising list.
    2nd. I wanted to try and add some Philips Hue lights.

Extra information:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/atmolight-1-15-1-0-2015-01-12.125633/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/diy-selfmade-ambilight-using-led-strings.120046/

Tumbnails

IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2875.JPG IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2885.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2903.JPG IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2906.JPG IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2894.JPG uMOCrBq.png[DOUBLEPOST=1423405316][/DOUBLEPOST]Extra post for updating information.

I will add some extra pictures, but creating this threat cost me some time. So i add them later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom