DJBlu's Custom Sky Data Grabber for MP1.9 onwards (1 Viewer)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are there any advancements on this? If not I'm happy to contribute. Been a user of MP for years and have been running .11 for a while. Decided to upgrade to .15 just this morning and came across this post. If no advancements have been made I'll start a GitHub C# equivalent of DJBlu's VB.NET stuff
    I've created a repo with a conversion of the UK plugin to c#. It was created by initially running the last available vb.net source through a language converter then doing a lot of tidying up and refactoring. I've tried to get it up to date and fixed some bugs by comparing the source to a decompilation of the latest bin, e.g. I've added the logo downloader. The one obvious thing I haven't done is add the throttler, though the setting for it exists.
    Unfortunately this is quite low on my priorities at the mo but it should be a good base if someone else wants to continue development...

Source: https://github.com/brownard/SkyUKGrabber

CCob

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2008
    Are there any advancements on this? If not I'm happy to contribute. Been a user of MP for years and have been running .11 for a while. Decided to upgrade to .15 just this morning and came across this post. If no advancements have been made I'll start a GitHub C# equivalent of DJBlu's VB.NET stuff
    I've created a repo with a conversion of the UK plugin to c#. It was created by initially running the last available vb.net source through a language converter then doing a lot of tidying up and refactoring. I've tried to get it up to date and fixed some bugs by comparing the source to a decompilation of the latest bin, e.g. I've added the logo downloader. The one obvious thing I haven't done is add the throttler, though the setting for it exists.
    Unfortunately this is quite low on my priorities at the mo but it should be a good base if someone else wants to continue development...

Source: https://github.com/brownard/SkyUKGrabber

That's an excellent start brownard. I've taken a look at the decompilation of the latest 1.4.0.6 UK grabber, and it seems that the throttle is implemented using Thread sleeps for 200ms at certain key looping areas. Whilst this will work it has the tendency to pollute the code, how about simply changing the thread priority of the grabber thread to lowest? This should have the same effect as to not starve the CPU when playing back TV content but also grab quicker when there is spare CPU resource.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    how about simply changing the thread priority of the grabber thread to lowest? This should have the same effect as to not starve the CPU when playing back TV content but also grab quicker when there is spare CPU resource.
    That did also cross my mind...

CCob

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2008
    how about simply changing the thread priority of the grabber thread to lowest? This should have the same effect as to not starve the CPU when playing back TV content but also grab quicker when there is spare CPU resource.
    That did also cross my mind...

Just made a pull request for this feature. Very simply change. If the throttle setting is on when the grabber thread is kicked off it's priority it set to lowest, so this should have the same effect as the previous implementation and not starve the CPU and prevent stuttering when playing back TV at the same time. Added benefit is that if TV is not currently active it should get through the EPG update quicker.

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi @mm1352000 & @Benoire

I've have finally decided to put my money where my mouth is, so-to-speak and get my hands dirty having only given some help with debugging in the past. So I have updated my dev environment to VS2015 Community and have the latest MP1 & MP2 source from GitHub. I would really like to see some of the DJBlu Sky grabber functionality "baked in" to MP2, such as the enhanced EPG from Sky as well as the ability to have "true" series link, much like what @mm1352000 talked about here:

...series link recording - I have the series link ID, but haven't had time to add the series link option to the scheduler and screens yet...

If either of you could share any code you have worked on and let me know what I could do to help out or have any suggestions on how we might collaborate on this then that would be great.

Thanks...

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back on this. Anyway, no further progress, I didn't hear anything and my offer of assistance wasn't taken up. I know that TVE 3.5 is in development, with a possible release not too far away and that the "true" series link we're looking for natively and have with DJBlu's modification is probably in the works.

I suppose the best course of action at this point is to get a copy of the latest MP2/TVE3.5 source and see what can be done. I do feel this may be flying blind and possibly replicating work already being done or heading down a rabbit hole, chasing code but it looks like the only option if you want to get involved...

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    With my current software going downhill fast in terms of compatibility and about to cost some more money I'm giving MP another go.

Fully committing this time though - have rebuilt my TV server using Windows 10 as I suspect it was Windows Server 2012 that was the problem.

Juist giving it a bit of a soak test now but so far no discontinuities.

I've also downloaded and compiled and deployed @Brownard 's C# TV server plugin and it seems good - maybe a few channel category issues aside.

I'll keep testing and if it goes OK will build a 1.16 when it's released.

Thanks everyone for keeping this project alive.

mattpwill

Portal Member
    July 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Great to have you back ears. Does or are there any plans to have this working with MP2 TV server please?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom