Do we really need Packed Textures? (1 Viewer)

Swede

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
West Coast Archipelago
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Never seen that. What were your problems before using the hack?

The framerate drop is a feature to reduce cpu load. You can set it in config.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
i had the framerate issue before the hack. i was hoping the hack would fix it. just for the record, mediaportal runs fullscreen on a secondary display (the monitor out on laptop).

where do i set the framerate in the config? i have it set at 50fps somewhere. it runs at about that when mediaportal has the focus. without focus, i get an average 9 fps.

what utility does everyone here use to view video memory usage?
i can't seem to get this basic information from either dxdiag or sisoft sandra.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    where do i set the framerate in the config? i have it set at 50fps somewhere. it runs at about that when mediaportal has the focus. without focus, i get an average 9 fps.

Nothing to do with textures or anyting else. Current MP code does that intentionally (and there is no config setting to change the behaviour) to reduce the CPU/GPU load that MP generates when it is not running as the foreground application (to give more CPU/GPU time for other applications).

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry about the setting mislead. I thought (see pic) was changing this behavior.

You can easily see video mem usage in mediaportal.log. Just search for "memory left"

It seems that there is less video mem information in the log nowadays. There has probably been some cleanup of the code.

Attachments

• new-1.jpg
      new-1.jpg
      40 KB

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I must also report that the team has done great improvements in this matter (packed gfx). The reason I started this tread was that my laptop with 128MB gpu couldn't run MP without serious problems, but now I tried to run 1.0.2 without my ugly hack, and it runs smoothly even with Moving Pictures plugin. Great job everyone! My hack will probably not be needed anymore.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    i still would like to know what simple utility i can use to check video memory usage.

i have a dual display and this would be very useful for several projects i'm working on (put one display in full screen and check out the usage in the other).

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i still would like to know what simple utility i can use to check video memory usage.

i have a dual display and this would be very useful for several projects i'm working on (put one display in full screen and check out the usage in the other).

What about this?: GPU Caps Viewer: Graphics Card Information Utility, GPU Temperature, OpenGL API Support, NVIDIA CUDA API Support | oZone3D.Net I haven't tried it, I just did a quick Google after I saw your question and this was the first result...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Has anyone noted a drop in performance when disabling packed textures and viewing multiple pictures.
    I'm using MP 1.0 Final with BeazleWide.
    I have a picture folder with 350 jpegs, average size = 1.5mb each, resolution varies, most are 1440x1080 resolution
    If using your packed textures fix, then scroll speed is slow, and sometimes pictures come up blank (black screen) if i preview to many too quickly.
    I have another folder with only about 150 pictures, this is slightly better but still slower.
    If I go back to use packed textures, things are a lot snappier and I no longer have problems of jpegs sometimes showing up black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom