Does anyone else has the feeling that mp is getting worse in terms of live tv? (1 Viewer)

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am using mp since version 1.1.3 (I think) and it's been quite a long walk to get to a media center that fully
    meets my requirements. One big point has always been a smooth live tv playback.
    After much tweaking and a lot of work by the tv devs I achieved my goal with mp 1.11
    Since then every update meant a bit of a drawback which I always tried to counteract with various options.
    For sure there have been changes where the devs have no influence on, like the upgrade to win 10.
    (and to say this: I would have loved to stay with win 7 but ms kind of forces you with their update policy..)
    But even without the windows change it seems to get worse bit by bit.

So here is the question: Is this only my immagination or does anyone else experience this as well?
    Most of the time in the changelog there are no changes at the tv section which makes it even odder.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So here is the question: Is this only my immagination or does anyone else experience this as well?
    I think that this is hard to reply to. One of our sayings here is "You can't improve what you can't measure!" That said, I am reluctant to put a blame on the recent MP versions, unless we can really name specifics in order to be able to follow up on them.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Well, that totally depends from where one is looking. I mean, if someone is previous US MCE user, or not and is using dvb-t,dvb-c,dvb-s
    For me it has improved a lot since I started about 7 years ago. Back then I has to be booted few times a day. And now past 5 years it has been only source of live-tv.
    Rock solid, doing all my recordings with different kind of shedules, SD and HD works fine.

Problems have included broken Hw, or "low user intelligency", meaning my mistakes mainly.

So I can't really agree

Br,

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am using MP since 0.2.3. I think 1.10 was the most stable for me. 1.11, 1.12 and 1.13 updates were not so stable anymore. I have set up a fresh 1.13 install on a new hardware with Windows 10 and I now get the intermittent 'Timeshift could not be started'. Some satellite channels will not be found anymore during a scan. I have now two HTPC with MP and both have their problems with live TV. On a third PC (mediaserver) I installed MP2 but still the same problems with channels not found since it is the same TVE 3.0 engine. A separate dedicated satellite receiver connected on the same ports of the multiswitch device will find and tune all channels. Also those that are missing in MP.

In fact 1.13 has broken some functionality of my MCE remotes regarding live TV. On the one HTPC the channel increase/decrease does not work (jumps a variable amount of channels up/down). No cure right now. On the other one (with the fresh 1.13 install) the mute button did not work anymore (installation of 1.14 Pre-Release cured the problem with the mute button). Also selecting the channel stored on position '8' kills live TV and MP freezes. A posting on the board did not get any reaction from the developers. It is a fresh install what could I do better?

So, yes the live TV quality (for me) was better in previous releases. The woman acceptance factor for my wife has gone down the drain for the stability problems of MP > 1.10 such that I am contemplating to go back to a fresh install of MP 1.10 on both HTPC.

When I have some time I want to have a look at Kodi 16 which I could even make portable according to PortableApps standards very easily. Maybe connect it to MP's TVE 3.0 to see if it is the MP client which gives troubles.

Do not misunderstand me. MP is a very good product but the latest incarnations are giving me troubles after years of good stability and usage. I am looking forward to MP2 and I would use it productive if it was up to the functionality MP1 has with plugins plus more stability.

Cheers

Blue Max

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I use Live TV on 4 HTPCs without any issues but I stayed on W8.1.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I only had issues with the MySQL and/or SQLExpress servers resulting in unreliable TV experiences with MP1. Especially after the TV server was wake up from standby, the SQL server never worked properly... Those issues begun somewhere around MP1 V1.7, 1.8 or 1.9 (did not remember exactly) and never was cured as long as I've used MP1. Since I'm using MP2 there is no MySQL server any more and all issues I had with Live TV are gone. Ever since the beginning of my MP2 "productive" usage it was as stable as it was on the "best days" of MP1.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I only had issues with the MySQL and/or SQLExpress servers resulting in unreliable TV experiences with MP1. Especially after the TV server was wake up from standby, the SQL server never worked properly... Those issues begun somewhere around MP1 V1.7, 1.8 or 1.9 (did not remember exactly) and never was cured as long as I've used MP1. Since I'm using MP2 there is no MySQL server any more and all issues I had with Live TV are gone. Ever since the beginning of my MP2 "productive" usage it was as stable as it was on the "best days" of MP1.

One of my issues with MP2 is that the client does not wake up the server. That works with MP1 and the same client and server ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    One of my issues with MP2 is that the client does not wake up the server.
    Also this is off topic my client can wake up the server if necessary... Even Kodi can wake up the MP2 server

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You guys know that TV Server has been under code freeze for quite some time now, right? That means there have been no significant changes to the TV Server or MP 1 TV plugin functions for that time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom