Doubling the main workstation as HTPC (1 Viewer)

PlayWithFire

Portal Member
November 1, 2006
Hello, i am new here. I've been a long time Xbox Media Center user, and been following Media Portal on and off since it launched. I never really used it though, since it more of a couch friendly application.
Well, now i have a reason to start using it. Let me explain what i am looking to do, and can someone tell me if this is something that's been done, and if it's a good idea.

I currently have my PC in the same room as my TV. I am looking into getting a new TV, and setting it up as a secondary monitor. First, that would require me to send the signal over something like 50" DVI cable (i'd have to snake it around the room). Now, would it be possible to run Media Portal this way? It would run on my main workstation, but on the "second monitor". I would get a remote of course, and probably a wireless mouse and keyboard with a good range.

Does anyone have this kind of setup?
Are the any problems with this?
Is there any reason to use DVI, over the other format (the blue connector, sorry the name escapes me)
Any help is appreciated.

PlayWithFire

Portal Member
November 1, 2006
thanks for a quick reply
why not just set the TV as the primary monitor? I see some downsides, but once the computer is booted up, would that cause any problems?

PlayWithFire

Portal Member
November 1, 2006
great, thanks for the info
The only thing that's kinda keeping me from it is the 50ft DVI cable

DonBogo

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
Clone

I've used MediaPortal with a nvidia 7600 GS configured in clone mode:
- VGA to my PC CRT screen as primary monitor
- composite out to my TV as secondary monitor
Resolution automatically adjusted by TV
No problems at all with direct x or anything else.
Never used as two independent monitors because can't have independent users / remote / keyboards however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom