Duplicate Movies (1 Viewer)

xazos79

January 6, 2014
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

I'm a first time media portal user (coming from 8+ years of media center i thought it was time to move of a dead platform). So far, i'm stoked with the change. I've nearly sorted out all areas of the software except movies and music. I'm using Moving Pictures, but have a problem. Duplicate movies. I did initially use the out of the box Video plugin, which scanned my entire library (using the .nfo file in each movie folder created by Media Center Master). This seemed to work well. However i then stumbled across Moving Pictures, installed and configured it, and set the Importer manually to pull information from the .nfo files rather than hit up IMDB or TMDB.

Problem is, i have duplicate movies. I've since reset the database for the OOTB video plugin. However that's made no difference. Is there an easy way to reset the Moving Picutres database? I've heard that deleting C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\database\movingpictures.db3 file will do it, but does that also clear *all* settings? I just want to remove the movies, retain my current settings, and re-import all my movies. Can i do this or do i have to bite the bullet and reset everything from scratch?

Thanks for any advice!!

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    When you delete the database you remove all settings and your library so if you dont mind re-configuring it again that's the way to go.

xazos79

January 6, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    When you delete the database you remove all settings and your library so if you dont mind re-configuring it again that's the way to go.

Thanks, this is the way i'm going. Seems to be going fine at the moment. Cheers!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You can technically open MovPic config, go to the "Movie Manager" tab. Select a movie in the list and then use CTRL+A to select them all. Then at the far right side look for the red 'X' icon and use that to delete+ignore all movies selected.

Then switch back to the "Movie Importer" tab, use the gear icon -> "Manage Ignored Files" and unignore all the movies you just deleted. And then sit back and let your entire collection be re-imported.

The problem you are dealing with then however is that any corruption you might have had in your database remains, so deleting the db3 file and taking the time to redo all your settings/preference is preferred. However if you got a ton of custom movie categories and other time consuming customisations that would also be lost then clearing out the movie collection and let it re-import might be easier.

One word of advice from my own experience, especially if you have the "Importer Setting" option enabled called "Always Group Files In The Same Folder", is that it can happen that movies 'dissapear', and the reason is that "file 1.avi" and "file 2.avi" might get grouped together as "Movie 1", even if they are two seperate movies. An easy way to manually verify this did not happen to your collection is to switch to the "Movie Manager" tab and change the drop down selection from "Movie Details" to "File Details". Select 1st movie in your list and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate to the next movie and pay attention to the "Full Path" field. Any movie that got multiple files grouped will have those listed on 2 seperate lines, which visually gives a big jump, so you can actually scroll through your entire collection very fast and verify. Infact I'm able to locate all the grouped entries on a 2000 movie collection in less then a minute.

You can then individually send those movies back to the importer and you can then use the 4th green icon that looks like a 2-pronge fork to force-seperate the files into individual movies if they are auto-grouped again by the importer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom