DVB-C in Switzerland (1 Viewer)

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I would like to know if any swiss citizen (i know there are some on the forum) are using a DVB-C PCI card in switzerland to get the Cablecom DigitalTV ? I heard you don't need to use their decoder to get the channels you just need to pay 10.- / month for the subscription (basic) and decode card.

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Did no one ever thought of this possibility ? DVB-C would be so cool to have here since my Analog Cable signal is pretty poor.

TimmyT

Portal Pro
October 18, 2004
Zurich
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hi CHli

I never thought of that possibility so far, because I'm pretty happy with my tv programm so far (plain' old analog cablecom). But I must say that I don't know the quality differences between dvb-c and regular cablecom. Can you tell me more about that?

Where did you get the information that the offer only costs 10.-? i thought it was 25.- per month? if it's only 10.- then i have to reconsider... there are some additional channels that sound pretty cool...

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I read on the www.allo.ch forums (swiss french) that if you buy the decoder yourself you only have to pay 10.- for the basic offer. (digital basic and digital bonus)

So if a DVB-C card which supports Nagravision (apprently the system used by cablecom) exists and is supported by MediaPortal this should do the trick.

brunoh

Portal Pro
August 8, 2004
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I do not think that cablecom has now changed their mind and give out CAMs. There Smartcards are 'paired' whith the decoder.

As far as I know they are strictly against this. You can read more on this topic on www.digi-tv.ch.

A lot of people are requesting more freedom from cablecom and would like their smartcard in a CAM and not use one of cablecom's decoder.

The only way I can record from digital channels is, when I input the image from the cablecom-decoder to the svideo of my hauppauge pvr350 (digital-analog-digital)

I think the 10 Fr are correct, but only for people that still have one of the old decoders from cablecom. In the early days you could buy the decoders.

Teleclub gives you the choice to get their decoder or a CAM to use in another decoder or a PC-card.

But I have still some problems with Teleclub and my Twinhan DVB-C.

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
So bad cablecom are not openminded and smart !

More way to get their channels = more $$$ ! That's simple... and Digital TV could become a standard instead of being such worthless. I hope that this will changed quickly (and hope to see HDTV soon too)

TimmyT

Portal Pro
October 18, 2004
Zurich
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
The only way I can record from digital channels is, when I input the image from the cablecom-decoder to the svideo of my hauppauge pvr350 (digital-analog-digital)

Hi Brunoh

I know this thread is old, but it describes my problem perfectly.
I tried for hours to get the digital tv-signal from my cablecom receiver over svideo into my pvr350, without success. What does your configuration looks like to get this working?

Thanx in advance,
TimmyT

brunoh

Portal Pro
August 8, 2004
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hoi TimmyT

Thanks for your logos, I am using them...

Now to my setting of Cablecombox together with PVR350. It is nothing special.
I have the decoder (not recorder) from Cablecom.

I have an adapter from SCART to SVHS in one of the 2 SCART-connections on the decoder. I have to set the adapter to output.

The SVHS from the adapter then goes to SVHS on the pvr-350, together with the sound, that I have connected to line-in on pvr 350.

On the decoder the out-configuration for recoder is on SVHS on default. The output for TV is on RBG, so if you would like to use the output for TV (you could also configure the loudness with the decoder), you would have to change that to SVHS under "installation/sytemeinstellungen"

I then can add an SVHS-channel with WinTV2000 and watch there.
In mediaportal with the new tv-server it works with "Add SVHS/VHS channel"
under TV-Servers , analog Hauppauge...
I then only use SVHS#1

When you are not able to get anything at all, also not in WinTV2000, I assume that something is wrong with the cable from Scart to the PVR350.

I don't use this very much. To realy use it, I would have to configure something so that Mediaportal could change the channels in the decoder (I think they call it ..Blaster).
This is very cumbersome and stupid in my opinion. We are paying for digitalTV and should get access to the digital channels, but this is another story..
So when I want to record something, I do it from analog when the channel is available.

For Teleclub and SFi I use my DVB-C Card (also for the EPG of the other channels).

I hope this helps

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I will receive my "MediaBox" has they call it in the next few weeks, I will then try to install a full server with remote blasting and everything :) I'll keep you in touch.

Else you can order the Dreambox and use the Dreambox plugin to stream the channel from the Dreambox to MP. I think this is possible but I haven't tried. And AFAIK this is the only way to keep digital all the way !

TimmyT

Portal Pro
October 18, 2004
Zurich
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Thanx for your setup description brunoh, I will try it out as soon as I find the time. I've been trying to get it working with a s-video cable (s-video out on cablecom recorder, s-video in on pvr-350), but as I said without success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom