DVB EPG enhanced with IMDB (1 Viewer)

Guy Incognito

Portal Member
July 16, 2011
Home Country
G'day!
I'm from Australia and happily pull EPG data from the DVB signal. Is there a way to enhance that EPG data with some kind of IMDB grabber? What I'd love to see when I look at the EPG is an IMDB score for all the movies in the TV guide. Does anyone know how to pull this off?
Thanks heaps in advance.

MadibaJ

Portal Member
January 22, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
I'm not currently using MP as i can't get it to pick up ABC and SBS channels but still follow the forums every so often to see if anyone else has my issues.

I use a program called EPGCollector which pulls MHEG5 styles which is the free view EPG and much more accurate than the OTA. It then runs the series through TVDB and adds to the data. It's written by a kiwi bloke who is responsive on the forums.

It does a good job particularly abc for kids.

My preferred option is to also use Argus scheduler with Mediaportal client. Argus has a small programme called enhancer which adds to the EPG guide.

From memory the trick was getting MP to import the xmltv file EPGCollector created.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @MadibaJ

I'm not currently using MP as i can't get it to pick up ABC and SBS channels...
    I'm a bit disappointed you haven't mentioned this. The "issue" as you put it is likely to be as simple as MediaPortal's TV Server having outdated frequencies for your region... and that would be a very easy 2 minute fix.

What region of Australia are you in?
    Have you checked the frequencies TV Server is scanning against OzDigital?

I use a program called EPGCollector which pulls MHEG5 styles which is the free view EPG and much more accurate than the OTA.
    Like NZ, Australian digital TV has both MHEG 5 and EIT (standard DVB) EPG... and they're both "OTA". I'd be very surprised if the 2 EPG systems carried different data. I know here in NZ the data is identical.

MadibaJ

Portal Member
    January 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi mate, I spent a lot of time on the argus forums trying to sort this out. I then uninstalled argus installed MP and it was the same frequencies giving me grief. By this stage my wife and kids were getting up me so I switched to WMC which works fine. For a while I thought my card was fried until I gave WMC a try and those frequencies worked.

I'm in Brisbane and have tried all the frequencies. I reckon I need a fresh Windows install and that's a Dec hols job.

Back on topic the Aus EIT is extremely poor with incorrect start times, no titles or descriptions and things like featuring block preview in the title. The MHEG5 data is from free view and their branded boxes rely on it. It's far more accurate than the EIT. Add in the EPGCollector TVDB info and it's as good as you'll get for free in oz.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mate, I spent a lot of time on the argus forums trying to sort this out. I then uninstalled argus installed MP and it was the same frequencies giving me grief. By this stage my wife and kids were getting up me so I switched to WMC which works fine.
    I can only help you with MediaPortal and MediaPortal's TV Server. If WMC can work fine then MediaPortal's TV Server can too. Like I said, I suspect it's a simple case of getting the right frequencies.

I'm in Brisbane and have tried all the frequencies.
    As you can see from the OzDigital site that I linked, there are a bunch of transmission sites around Brisbane. MediaPortal's "Brisbane" choice is only the right choice if your aerial is pointed at the "Mount Coot-tha" transmission site. Otherwise, you could try the "All Regions" choice, which should definitely work.

I reckon I need a fresh Windows install and that's a Dec hols job.
    I take it this is just something you would like to do (because a fresh Windows install isn't going to help MediaPortal pick up missing channels). :)

Back on topic the Aus EIT is extremely poor with incorrect start times, no titles or descriptions and things like featuring block preview in the title. The MHEG5 data is from free view and their branded boxes rely on it. It's far more accurate than the EIT. Add in the EPGCollector TVDB info and it's as good as you'll get for free in oz.
    I'm surprised, but I'll take your word for it.
    As you said earlier, TV Server's XMLTV plugin can import the output from EPG Collector.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I agree - a win install will not get the missing frequencies.

I was able to update the southern Canberra XML file with updated frequencies so my channel search does not have to spend a long time searching all frequencies; I recommend you look into doing some more research into editing your relevant XML file.

IceTV Guide is one way to get an improved EPG data (and works in MP1). Ice did go bust recently but is back in business as a new company for $7.99 monthly subscription.

Here is a website with some information once you get through all the garbage.
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2457702

Edit - give me a bit of time and I will take a look at updating the TV Freqs for Brissy, although I would not be able to test them.

Last edited:

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well I took a look at the sites for QLD http://ozdigitaltv.com/transmitters/QLD - you will have to tell me which Txer you are using - there are too many to update all...

But for the Mt Coot-Tha

SBS and ABC are correct
    Nine is incorrect and should be Nine QTQ8 191.625 Mhz (in the xml as 191.500)
    Here is the full Oz digital list.

Seven BTQ6 177.500 Mhz
    SBSSBS7 184.500 Mhz
    NineQTQ8 191.625 Mhz
    TenTVQ11 219.500 Mh
    ABCABC2 226.500 Mhz
    DigitalCTQ28 529.500 Mhz

There are 2 extra freqs in the Brisbane XML 599.500 and 585.500 that are not listed on the Oz digital web page for Mt Coot-tha

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nine is incorrect and should be Nine QTQ8 191.625 Mhz (in the xml as 191.500)
    Ahhh, but the XML should contain an offset value of 125 kHz. TV Server will therefore try 3 frequencies in the following order until one is locked:
    1. 191.5 MHz
    2. 191.375 MHz
    3. 191.625 MHz
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...3/TVLibrary/SetupTv/Sections/CardDvbT.cs#L479

For example, if the tuner locks on 191.5 MHz (which most tuners should), 191.375 and 191.625 won't be scanned. If the tuner doesn't lock on 191.5 MHz, 191.375 MHz will be tried... and if the tuner still hasn't locked, 191.625 MHz will also be tried.

Make sense?

Guy Incognito

Portal Member
    July 16, 2011
    Home Country
    I finally got around to trying out EPG Collector. So far so good. Does anyone know how to configure the EPG data after the XML file is imported. Specifically, how do I get the star rating to show up in my EPG data?

Thanks heaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom