[solved] DVB IP Channel Slow Motion (1 Viewer)

Area51

Portal Member
November 30, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have set up a channel through the DVB-IP IPTV Source Filter card that is fed from a VODServer steam that originates from an ip-camera (FOSCAM FI8905W). The channel picture is good, but it is really slow. Not buffering, but slow motion.
I have it set to use LAV Video Decoder. The steam/picture is good viewing through VLC, or even KODI, but not on MediaPortal client (All on same machine as TVService).

MP: TV Server version 1.12.0
MP: Client version 1.12.0

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

I'd be happy to try to help you, but unfortunately the log file you've provided doesn't cover the information I need in order to help you.

Can you please:
    1. Use MediaPortal's Watchdog Tool with option 2 or 1 to open MediaPortal.
    2. Reproduce the problem by playing the stream for 60 seconds or so.
    3. Close MediaPortal.
    4. Attach the resulting zip file.
    Thanks,
    mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks (y)
    Looking at your log files now. I'll post again as soon as I have something - maybe 15 to 30 minutes.

Area51

Portal Member
    November 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry to have done this to you, but I uploaded a new log file while you were viewing the old one. I accidently had the MP Client pointing to a different TV Server. I gives the same problem but it may not contain the log information about the TV Server.
    file MediaPoralLogs***32.zip should be better for you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...I uploaded a new log file
    Okay, got it. :)

Executive summary: I can see what you're describing, but I don't have a direct explanation for the situation. There are no obvious errors that I can see, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Details...
    I don't see any problems on the TV Server side.

On the MediaPortal side there are three things that stand out.
    First and most interesting is this note in the video renderer (EVR) log:
    [2015-11-30 14:32:11,093] [ c46ee48] [ 84c] - Render stats : Display-to-video FPS ratio = 1.2503(FRR 0)| Frames dropped 0, drawn 400, repeated 0 | MPAR clk adj 0

That tells me that MediaPortal has only played 400 frames over ~60 seconds. That's an average frame rate of 400 / 60 = 6.66 fps, which is extremely low. No wonder you describe the video as "slow motion". Do you know what the frame rate of the stream is meant to be? (Note that you're likely to get best results with a fixed [ie. non variable] frame rate.)

Second, I see this error/warning in the splitter (TsReader) log:
    [2015-11-30 14:31:13,576] [ c348700] [ 6bc] - audPin : Audio to render late= 0.196

This is an indication that TsReader may have been short on audio data, and that may possibly have affected playback. You could try to increase TsReader's "BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds" registry setting (at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader). An appropriate value may be something like 1000, but feel free to experiment.

Finally, I note that you've configured MP to use the LAV video codec + Microsoft DTV-DVD audio codec. That's a little unusual. I'd recommend you use matched pairs of codecs (ie. either switch the video codec to Microsoft DTV-DVD, or switch the audio codec to LAV [recommended]).

A couple of questions about KODI...
    You said that KODI plays the stream okay.
    When you play the stream with KODI, is KODI connecting to the camera or VODServer stream directly... or is it connecting to TV Server's stream (ie. same as MediaPortal)?
    If yes to the above, it points to codec configuration or splitter (TsReader) problems with MediaPortal. The suggestions about changing the codec and/or outputing a fixed frame rate stream from VODServer may help.
    If no to the above, what happens if you configure KODI to play TV Server's stream? (In suggesting this, I'm trying to determine whether the output from TV Server is already problematic, or whether the problem is in MediaPortal.)

Area51

Portal Member
    November 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Adjusted "BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds" to 1000, rebooting just in case, No change in stream fps.
    Changed audio codec back to LAV ( this was set previously just to see how if any affect to stream it might have). No change in fps.
    KODI: Stream to KODI is directly from MP TVServer's stream, same as MP Client. fps is a bit slower than VODServer output, but acceptable.
    VODServer: Attached is the output stream parameters.
    Note: I have two HTPC machines, each pretty much identical in MediaPortal, VODServer and KODI versions and both MediaPortal Clients produce similar "Slow" motion streams.

Attachments

• vodserver-services-common.xml
      5.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, I'm getting to the limits of my knowledge here.

If you're getting different results with KODI and MediaPortal even though both are using the same TV Server, logic says that TV Server is unlikely to be at fault. Therefore I'm going to turn my focus to MediaPortal.

From your VODServer config file, it looks like the ffmpeg output frame rate is meant to be 24 fps:
    <entry key="ffmpegOutputParams" value="-vcodec mpeg2video -s 720x576 -r 24 -flags cgop+ilme -sc_threshold 1000000000 -b:v 64K -maxrate:v 2M -bufsize:v 1.4M -acodec mp2 -ac 2 -b:a 128k -f mpegts -"/>

That's a long way from the ~7 fps you appear to be getting in MediaPortal, and it's also unusual for a TV stream. Normally a TV stream is either 25/50 or 29.97/59.94 fps.

The thing that is bothering me from the previous log files is that the video renderer did not appear to be dropping frames. To me that seems really odd, because it's like MediaPortal thinks it is playing the stream perfectly. It would be worth trying a different video codec to see if the issue is with the video decoding (which would not be obvious from our log files).

Do you know what the output frame rate of the IP camera is meant to be?

You can press shift + 1 (ie. exclamation mark ! ) in MediaPortal to view the video renderer statistics including source frame rate, screen/output frame rate and dropped frame count. Can you please attach a screenshot (pressing F11 saves a screenshot to your Windows pictures folder) of the statistics after approximately 60 seconds.

Area51

Portal Member
    November 30, 2015
    Home Country
    See attached image, taken after approx. 1min of running.
    Note: I changed the "-r 24" to "-r 25" in VODServer config file, restarted, still no change.

Attachments

• Camera1.png
      Camera1.png
      392.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom