DVB S/S2 cards on legacy PCI interface. (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    It already had F4 from factory. Already RMAed it and ordered Asrock H170M-ITX together with Intel G3900T that supports 16 PCIe direct lanes to the CPU, so plenty of bandwidth.

The only downside is that this mobo doesnt have a PCI slot and instead has PCIe which means i will either have to buy a new DVBS2 card with a PCIe interface or i could experiment a bit with some interesting PCIe to PCI adapters that are sold for around 30 euro. Of course these adapters are essentialy a PCI to PCIe bridge chip and i am again taking a risk of having the same issues but at least this time i know that the bridge will run on its own dedicated PCIe lane directly connected to the CPU.

This way i can keep my SkyStar HD2 and be happy. At least now i will have an alternative available in case it doesnt work. I can get a TBS PCIe card and waste 30 euro on a useless adapter that i will never use:)

I will let u know how it went when i finally get all the hardware.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    So it seems i am back in action.

Got Asrock H170M-ITX, TBS 6902 and Windows 7 64bit.

The card is great, has fantastic channel switching times, and is running cool. I am using latest TBS6902 Windows Driver V1.0.0.3 and i am very pleased.

Two things bother me tho.... yea yea something always has to go wrong.

1. I never applied the TBS patch and yet everything is working fine (i am not using CI), it is even able to rotate the motor with 0 issues but it sounds too good to be true.
    @mm1352000 any idea as to why it is working (i never thought i would ask u why something IS WORKING).

2. While the card is working great under Windows 7 64bit it refuses to work under Windows 10 64bit. Not only under MP but also in all the rest of the DVB programs that i tried (ProgDVB/ DVBViewer and TBS's own BlindScan).
    It always results with a "BDA Device is not started" needless to say that testing is done under exactly the same PC, i used dual boot.

Now i know this issue has nothing to do with MP itself but i address it here since maybe someone has an idea, i suspect drivers but maybe it is something obvious that i neglected.

TBS does state that it supports Windows 10 and the device does install properly, i can see it in device manager but somehow it doesn't want to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. I never applied the TBS patch and yet everything is working fine (i am not using CI), it is even able to rotate the motor with 0 issues but it sounds too good to be true.
    mm1352000 any idea as to why it is working (i never thought i would ask u why something IS WORKING).
    TBS products may support at least 4 DiSEqC interfaces that I'm aware of:
    1. Native Conexant - works with old PCI and PCIe cards with Conexant PCI/PCIe interface chipsets (eg. 6920, 6921, 6980, 892* etc.).
    2. Native Cyprus - works with USB products (QBOX).
    3. Native NXP/Trident - works with "mid-new" PCIe cards based on SAA7160 PCIe bridge chipset (eg. 6922, 6984, 6985, 6990, 6991 etc.).
    4. Official TBS (SDK) - works with all TBS tuners.
    Standard MP supports interface 1.
    The patch support interface 4.

I don't know which native interface the newest cards with Lattice FPGA chipsets (eg. 690*) support. If they support any interface that MP supports - maybe the native Conexant one (it's relatively common), but I don't know without seeing log files - then DiSEqC will work. However that would be new information for me. Of course we can't and won't make a general claim that "TBS DiSEqC is supported" when we don't yet support their official interface.

2. While the card is working great under Windows 7 64bit it refuses to work under Windows 10 64bit.
    ...i suspect drivers but maybe it is something obvious that i neglected.
    Given that it doesn't work in any software, I agree that it could well be a driver problem. However this is complete speculation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    As usual, I will ask for log files before I provide ideas. I don't want to cause you to waste hours or days following a wrong idea. :)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thanx for the prompt reply, currently installing windows 8.1 to see if it works there. After that i can provide u with TeamViewer access to identify the interface, if ofc u got time for it (installation done in around 30 minutes with drivers).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanx for the prompt reply
    You're welcome. I'm always happy to answer such questions. :)

After that i can provide u with TeamViewer access to identify the interface
    Really all that's needed is a TV service log from a working setup which shows the tuner initialisation (graph building). I can check the log via TeamViewer if you want, but it might be easier and faster to just attach it here.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Will post logs after i am done with the setup.

--- Post updated ---
    Here are the logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the logs.
    Thanks. :)

Here's our answer:
    [2016-10-12 17:52:12,019] [Log ] [24 ] [INFO ] - dvb: Checking for hardware specific extensions
    [2016-10-12 17:52:12,252] [Log ] [24 ] [INFO ] - Check for ProfRed
    [2016-10-12 17:52:12,252] [Log ] [24 ] [INFO ] - ProfRed BDA: DVB-S card found!
    [2016-10-12 17:52:12,253] [Log ] [24 ] [INFO ] - ProfRed card detected

The Prof DiSEqC interface is almost identical to the Conexant one that I previously mentioned. As you've seen, it supports raw DiSEqC commands (...which means that 4 port switch and motor control will work, as you've seen).

Thanks for the info. :)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thats good, do u think i should let it be or patch it with ur patch? Any performance advantages i might get? Keep in mind that i am not gonna use CI.

P.S. card is not working under windows 8.1 either. This is really strange.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thats good, do u think i should let it be or patch it with ur patch? Any performance advantages i might get? Keep in mind that i am not gonna use CI.
    If DiSEqC works in the way that you need without using the patch, then I can't think of any advantage in applying the patch. If you were using an older card such as a 6981 then the patch may also give you slightly faster DVB-S2 tuning... but that doesn't apply for your card. So, if I were you I'd let it be. It's completely up to you really. There's no harm in trying the patch. You can always go back to standard/unpatched as long as you backup the original DLL(s) as recommended in the patch install instructions.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    P.S. card is not working under windows 8.1 either. This is really strange.
    Have you got log files showing this?
    This is one scenario where TeamViewer may be helpful if you'd like my help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom