DVB S/S2 cards on legacy PCI interface. (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thank you for the info amd the suggestions i really do value them.

Now i need to resolve the windows 10/8.1 issue, already sent email to TBS support, lets see what they will say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the info amd the suggestions i really do value them.
    Again, you're very welcome, any time. :)

Regarding TeamViewer...
    Sorry, plans have changed at my end. I just got a phone call and am going out unexpectedly. However I plan to be back in 3 hours or so. If you don't manage to solve the problem yourself or via TBS support, I'll be here to assist if I can.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Sure if the issue remains i will let u know, maybe u will discover something out of the ordinary.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Found the issue, you will not believe it, i still dont :)

Onboard HD Audio is the issue and the way different versions of windows behave regarding the pressence of an audio controller.

My theory is that if windows wont detect an available onboard audio controller they wont activate specific media capabilities until they detect one.

How i found it?

I started playing with all the BIOS settings until one boot resulted in success.

I kept track of what i was changing and the last change was the onboard audio from disabled to enabled.

So for testing i went back into BIOS and disabled the audio controller, after boot DVB card was still working.

This is why my theory has to do with how windows activates different portions of itself based on the hardware it detects available.

I am mad and happy at the same time. I would say more mad than happy.

@mm1352000 i would like to thank u once again for ur information and suggestions. You were absolutely right regarding TBS cards and i am glad u didnt hesitate to point me to that direction.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ha, awesome! :)

Thanks for reporting the solution. I never heard of Windows doing that... so I guess that is one new thing I've learnt today.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    @mm1352000 I need once again your help and wisdom :)

Everything is working fine and I was adding my favorite channels from 3 different satellites, so far so good.

All was going fine during scanning until I decided to add one of the last channels, so I went ahead rotated the motor to 19.2E and manually added the frequency details, MP found no channels,
    that in itself was a bit strange cause I was watching this channel a month ago with my previous card.

I went ahead and checked if the channel maybe moved frequency, nop it didn't, my assumption then was that maybe this tuner is not so sensitive compared to my previous one and as so it is unable to get the channel, so i added all the rest channels and moved on till the end of my favorite list.

At the end the only channel missing was this specific one so out of curiosity i tried to scan for the channel through ProgDVB and was surprised to see that Prog had no issue in finding this channel with a 98% signal strength and a 67% quality.

So i wanted to give MP another try, and indeed this time MP was able to find the channel.

Now the tricky part:) MP is only able to lock on the channel if ProgDVB previously locked to the same channel successfully. Which means i have to 1st scan for this channel in Prog, then i have to scan for it in MP and then i am able to watch it, if i switch to another channel then i am unable to get back to this one no matter what. As if MP is unable to send the proper LOCK command for the specific frequency.

What i have tried till now with no success.

1. Applied ur patch

2. Changed provider from Generic to DVBS.

3. Increased Tune Timeout from 2 seconds to 10.

Nothing seems to help.

The same damn channel is working perfectly fine in ProgDVB.

Below you will find logs from the unsuccessful scan.

Thanx in advance.

P.S. I am terrible when it comes to reporting issues:) I forgot the basic info that is crucial..... the channel tuning details:

19.2°E Astra 1M Europe
    12480 V DVB-S
    MPEG-2 27500
    3/4

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...so I went ahead rotated the motor to 19.2E and manually added the frequency details...
    I think this part is the problem. :)

According to the log files, you're scanning with the following parameters:
    [2016-10-14 23:17:57,413] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] - dvbs: Scan:DVBS:tv: Freq:12480000 ONID:-1 TSID:-1 SID:-1 PMT:0xFFFFFFFF FTA:False LCN:10000 SymbolRate:27500 Modulation:ModQpsk Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate3_4 DisEqc:None band:Universal Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet

Since this is a DVB-S (not DVB-S2) transponder, modulation should be set to the "not set" option.

FYI, here are the 3 most common modulation settings:
    • not set => DVB-S QPSK
    • QPSK => DVB-S2 QPSK
    • 8 PSK => DVB-S2 8 PSK
    For some tuners it's very important to set the modulation value correctly, otherwise they may be sloooow to lock... or not lock at all as you've seen.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thanx for the tips, currently testing things out. Sometimes things behave strangely. I need more testing done before i waste more of ur time.

Thanx again.

--- Post updated ---
    Ok @mm1352000 could replicate the issue after successfully adding the channel with correct tuning details.

This time when I switch from channel to channel it works 50% of the time between specific channels.

I managed to get the issue in clean log files the error is actually a time out for PMT.

P.S Retuning the same channel will always result again in a time out for PMT, switching to another sat and then switching back to the previous channel will work. But like I said it is not reliable.
    --- Post updated ---
    EDIT: Here are some more logs with the issue, u can see that it doesn't always happen but when it does it is hard to recover cause after that it seems as if the tuner is getting a dead lock regarding the whole current satellite, I know it sounds strange but in order to recover I have to end tvservice and run progdvb, tune to that specific frequency and then turn off progdvb and start tv service, after that mp will be able to tune correctly to the channel. Could it be LNB compatibility? since it will be easy for me to test with another LNB, I am just not sure cause it works fine in ProgDVB.

The thing is that it works fine in MP as well but not always, when it does it working perfectly, I can even switch between sats that are many degrees apart and still it will not fail, but then the time out for PMT happens and after that it is the end of the world:)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but let's talk about what's going on and see if we can figure it out together. :)

I managed to get the issue in clean log files the error is actually a time out for PMT.
    In my opinion the fact that you're now getting "PMT timed out" errors instead of "failed to lock in on signal" errors is positive. I expect this difference is explained by the modulation change.

A PMT time-out means that TV Server cannot find the service within the stream that is received from the tuner. This can happen for many reasons, including:
    • TV Server (TsWriter) is not receiving any stream from the tuner
    • the tuner has locked on to the wrong transmitter/transponder, and so TV Server is receiving the wrong streams
    • the service has moved to a new transmitter/transponder
    • problems related to decryption (subscription issues, CAM incompatibility, incorrect config etc.)
    In your case I think the problem is likely to be one of the first two reasons. Unfortunately the log files can't tell us which reason is the correct one. This is going to make it a bit difficult to figure out what's going on. :(

In relation to the first reason (no stream)...
    This can happen if the "preferred network provider" and/or "when card enters idle state..." tuner settings are not compatible with the tuner driver. So, you could experiment with different values for those settings. Keep in mind that the defaults - "generic" and "stop card" respectively - are the recommended values which are most stable for most tuners.

In relation to the second reason (wrong transmitter)...
    I'm wondering if the motor is moving the dish to the wrong position.
    TV Server has associated DMAX (19.2E with stored motor position 1). Is that correct?

Are you sure that the dish position is accurate for that stored motor position?
    When TV Server fails to tune and you immediately try the same channel with ProgDVB, does the motor move at all?

Could it be LNB compatibility?
    What do you mean by "LNB compatibility"?
    (From what I've seen in the log files, to me it seems unlikely that the problem has anything to do with the LNB.)

...the time out for PMT happens and after that it is the end of the world:)
    So to be clear, after a PMT time-out happens, what is the result if you:
    1. Try to tune another channel from the same transponder?
    2. Try to tune another channel from the same transponder, then try to tune the failing channel again?
    3. Try to tune another channel from a different transponder on the same satellite?
    4. Try to tune another channel from a different transponder on the same satellite, then try to tune the failing channel again?
    5. Try to tune another channel from a different satellite?
    6. Try to tune another channel from a different satellite, then try to tune the failing channel again?
    ...and in all the above cases, is the result reliable/consistent?

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    While trying all of the above I stumble on something that could explain some things, I already told u that sometimes MP is unable to scan for channels that were previously working, so this time I noticed that when I either get a NO Signal or No PMT if I go to manually move the dish from MP I get no confirmation message regarding the dish moving and instead I am getting errors in log file.

[2016-10-15 15:12:37,583] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [ERROR] - Exception :confused:ystem.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.167.100.100:31456

Any ideas?

I don't want to restart TV Service as I think this might be one of the reasons I am getting time outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom