DVB-S2 card recommendation (1 Viewer)

d3cadent

Portal Member
April 19, 2008
Dear members,
although being a long-time MP user, so far I have no experience with sat tv. Currently I am with analogue and DVB-T.
I am considering switching to sat. One important thing for me would be the possibility to receive 2 (or, even better, 4) programs simultaneously (currently I use 3 analogue tuner cards). I am aware of the fact that I'd need a multi-LNB dish head for that - but what would be a preferred, DVB-S2-capable tuner card for the task? Are there 4-way cards on the market? 2-way?

Another issue is the decoder smartcard that's provided by the TV company. Since I have no experience on that, my question may sound lame. If I have a CI module in my HTPC, will all tuner cards be able to take advantage of it? Or do I have to buy as many subscriptions as tuner cards there are in my computer?

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TBS and BlackGold are probably the most prominent makers of tuner cards. BlackGold have a dual DVB-S2 card, TBS have a dual and quad DVB-S2 card, and both of them have DVB-T2/S2 mixed cards.

As for decoding encrypted channels with a smartcard...that's kind of a minefield. You can either get a card with a built-in CI module (TBS have some) and then install a CAM with your smartcard in it, but then I think only the tuners on that card can decode channels. You can also get a separate card reader (e.g. Dreambox) or a USB one combined with software decoding.

AVForum has a lot of good stuff on this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom