DVB-T EPG grabber blocks tuners, TV Server will not be able to use them again (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As I have a multiseat setup, I presume you'll need the TV servers logs only or also the clients logs when this happens`?
    If the problem is the same then the TV Server logs will be the ones I need.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I wonder what settings you're using for EPG grabbing? Here in the UK, I found that the entire EPG is transmitted on every channel, so I only need to tick one channel under TV EPG Grabber (BBC One) and untick Store data only for selected channels. Under Radio EPG grabber I don't need to tick anything as the EPG grabbed from BBC One contains all the radio channels as well.

In the main EPG settings I just have" Always try to fill holes" and "Always try to update" ticked as well as EPG grabbing whilst timeshifting/recording and idle.

I guess this is probably not your problem as starting timeshifting/recording should overrule the EPG grabber anyway but it's worth checking and before, when I had all the channels ticked to grab EPG data for, it was pretty much constantly grabbing as it was getting the entire EPG from each channel and it prevented my PC from sleeping.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have set all channels, but right now I have not encountered this error again since reenabling the EPG grabber a few days ago. However, I have disabled CRC checking, maybe this was needed....

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Maybe, although I used to have CRC enabled and it never caused me any problems (I've disabled it now simply because I read it doesn't serve any purpose for me).

Despite mm marking my post Off Topic, which I thought was rather rude, I suggest you check whether you need to tick more than one channel to grab the EPG from or if it will grab it all from a single channel as it does here in the UK (if you haven't already done so of course).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Wow, these little markers are annoying! Apparently Sebastiii disagrees with something in my post but couldn't find the time to post and explain what exactly it is he disagrees with. Seems very unhelpful and confusing to me I'm afraid.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's probably because everyone on the team is very busy trying to help out users that post bug reports, and don't have the time to respond to every Off Topic posts. A developer is trying hard to figure out what's going on, and you come in suggestion stuff to a user that doesn't have the issue anymore and (as you could have known from the tag) is off-topic to the OP issue...

... but right now I have not encountered this error again since reenabling the EPG grabber a few days ago.
    Despite mm marking my post Off Topic, which I thought was rather rude, I suggest you check whether you need to tick more than one channel to grab the EPG from or if it will grab it all from a single channel as it does here in the UK (if you haven't already done so of course).

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    That's probably because everyone on the team is very busy trying to help out users that post bug reports, and don't have the time to respond to every Off Topic posts. A developer is trying hard to figure out what's going on, and you come in suggestion stuff to a user that doesn't have the issue anymore and (as you could have known from the tag) is off-topic to the OP issue...

Actually my first post was before the user reported he had disabled CRC checking and hadn't seen the problem since. I saw someone having problems with the EPG grabber and tried to help him by sharing what I'd learnt about it and got a OT sticker slapped on my post by mm for my trouble. If he's busy, I suggest he doesn't waste his time casually labelling posts from users who are just trying to help. He's only going to end up busier if he discourages users from helping each other.

As for my second post, I shared that I'd never had a problem with CRC checking enabled and made a suggestion for something for the user to check, in case the problem re-appeared or just to ensure he didn't run into any other avoidable problems with the grabber. I'm still not sure what Seb disagreed with.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm still not sure what Seb disagreed with.
    Probably the fact that you called mm1352000 rude for the 'Off topic' tag.

Still, if mm1352000 finds the post Off topic, i don't see why he can't tag that. He is investigating OP's issue, so he surely knows best. And it might help pick out the most important posts in a thread. But not gonna argue about this any longer.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @doveman
    I labelled your post off-topic because enabling/disabling certain channels to enable the PC to go to sleep is entirely irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Please re-read the topic, first post, and my first post -->here<-- for the details of what this thread is about.
    I'll summarise in other words for your convenience. The problem is that use of the EPG grabber prevents reuse of the tuner for anything. Timeshifting, recording. Everything. This is known as deadlock. The tuner is totally locked and it makes MP unresponsive as well.

Enabling/disabling channels may or may not be a valid workaround... but this is a bug-report. We're trying to investigate and find real solutions to the problem.

Bug reports are treated differently to other threads in the forum. We commit ourselves to investigate problems reported here, and in return we absolutely 100% require logs and full information. While bug reports are open for public input, we do have a more strict view and process when dealing with them. I'm sure your intentions were good but speculation about a second poster's issue before they've posted logs and after I've inferred that certain logs are required is not appreciated.

Ultimately this is igalan's bug report and I'm here to investigate his problem. If other people think they have the same problem that is fine, but please let them post logs as I requested so I can confirm.

So... I'm sorry if you felt that label was rude, but I genuinely feel like you either have not understood the topic of the thread or don't understand that we hold posts in bug report threads to higher standards.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @igalan
    I've been doing my homework to find the status of the mantis linked in my first post.
    It seems @DJBlu was investigating earlier in the year over here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tswriter-deadlock-potential-fix.114898/

I've put some of the findings of my investigation and some questions for DJBlu in a post here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...lock-potential-fix.114898/page-13#post-994222

In the meantime, perhaps you could try one of his TsWriter builds and see if it helps you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom