DVD subtitle change on chapter change (2 Viewers)

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
rtv said:
did you misleadingly tick the default language option?

Force Subtitles (overrides disc defaults) is not used and for Subtitle language have tried both invariant or French/English.

Apparently the bug exists only when you have two streams with the same name. And when you choose the second one. It will revert to the first one on chapter change.

1:Japanese, 2:English will not produce the bug. But

1:Japanese
2:English
3:Japanese

will bug if the user choose 3:japanese.

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Yes, this is STILL a bug, which my patch fixed.

The problem is when there is two similiarly named subtitle streams

1. English
2. German
3. English

where 3. is really subs for the directors commentary

the cause of this is the SelectSubtitleLanguage(_subtitleLanguage); on both dvd events: titlechange and chapterchange, which reverts the subtitles to the first stream matching the setting of the "default subtitle language" which is set and read from the xml even tho the "force subtitles"-option is disabled.

my patch made the SelectSubtitleLanguage conditional, ofcourse its more of a hack than a patch really, maybe the forceSubtitles boolean could be a condition for this also

Code:
if (_useLanguageSettings)
                {
                  SelectSubtitleLanguage(_subtitleLanguage);
                }

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
ive been trying to do a new patch for this, but lack of documentation is doing my head in

as stated earlier the _subtitlesEnabled is badly named, as it "forces" subtitles, instead of enabling them

but it looks that the boolean is also used to actually turn the subtitles on and off too

Code:
dvdCtrl.SetSubpictureState(_subtitlesForced, DvdCmdFlags.None, out _cmdOption);
(i renamed the boolean to _subtitlesForced)

line 328 of DVDPlayer.cs for example

maybe its me not understanding this properly or something, but my first patch actually worked 100% for this bug, but it added a new configuration item (should it be there? or can the existing boolean be used to fix this)

as said earlier the problem is with the forced subtitle changes on dvd events titlechange and chapterchange, but using _subtitlesEnabled as a condition for the sub change on dvd events still results in the mentioned bug because the boolean is used as a boolean for "subtitles enabled" in dvdCtrl.SetSubPictureState()

Code:
if (_subtitlesForced)
  {
    SelectSubtitleLanguage(_subtitleLanguage);
  }

DogBoy1169

Portal Member
August 17, 2006
Australia
So I am right in understanding that this is an issue to be addressed some time in the future? I've got a number of DVD's this impacts and its annoying the boss ... (wife)

SOS_Denmark

Portal Member
April 3, 2006
The way it works now where "Forced subtitles" actually seems to work as an ON/OFF for subtitles just isn´t very good.....

and going to the MP DVD config page everytime I want to change subtitles just seems a bit "wrong" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom