Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Tony

I have a NV-GS25 Panasonic video camera. There is some info at Panasonic NV-GS25 Digital Camcorder Reviews Australia www.panasonic.com.au
    I managed to convert the wmv file to an avi file using the software I downloaded a while back at SUPER &copy . It also converts other formats.

Thanks for the software links. I could try them. However, I am not sure whether it could be worth trying Media Portal to do the editing. Have you tried it and if so, do you know how to do it?

Would Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Corel (Ulead) Video Studio have an advantage over Womble Multimedia for my purpose?

Your help is appreciated.
    Regards Richard

OK - it's definitely a DV camcorder. If you use Vegas or Video Studio to capture from the camcorder over Firewire they will create .avi files, and they can 'smart-render' from these during editing to speed up the creation of the edited output file (provided it's also DV-format .avi).

The editor in MP is designed to handle MPEG-2 .ts files only (i.e. the TV recordings made by MP), so it's no use for the camcorder files.

The Womble software isn't the best tool for your file formats - Vegas and Video Studio are better.

Tony

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Tony

Thanks for the letter.

I downloaded Corel VideoStudio X2. Have you used it much and do you know much about the following?

After reading the help section in Corel VideoStudio X2, I cannot work out how to delete a section in the middle of a video that I captured. I set the “mark in” and “mark out” points and could move the trim handles and the jog slider. How do I delete a section between the "mark in" and "mark out" points? After I set the points I pressed the delete button on the keyboard. However, if I remember right a message came up asking something like "do you want to delete the icon". That would indicate that it would not delete the scene between the two points.

I want software that can very quickly delete a number of sections in the middle of a video recording. I was hoping that there could be an option so this could automatically happen when I press two buttons like the “mark in” and “mark out” buttons without out having to do anything else. Then I was hoping the video would play after the deleted point.

Do you think some other software may be better for my purpose?

Your help is appreciated.
    Regards Richard

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've used VideoStudio 7/8/9, but it's been a while since I used any of them.

There's actually no real difference - other than the 'in' and 'out' points being swapped in the clip trimmer window - between cutting out sections and keeping sections of video (and as far as I know VideoStudio only operates in the latter mode), in both cases you end up transfering the sections you want to the timeline/storyboard (where the final movie is assembled).

As I said before, the other way of doing this is to place the whole source video on the timeline and slice it up with the cut/scissors/split tool (can't remember what it's called in VideoStudio), then delete the bits you don't want from the timeline.

Why do you need to edit in the way you describe ?

Tony

(You could take a look at VideoRedo - which can edit in the way you want - but it's very much an MPEG file editor and it doesn't have an extra audio track for the voice-over requirement you have).

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Tony

I want to remove the scenes that I do not want in the recording and only want to retain the parts that I want. There are many small unwanted segments I want to quickly remove in the middle of the video. Also, it would be good to remove the ads in TV programs that are recorded using Portal. I may be able to open the programs recorded in Portal in another program and edit them there.

I have some software that converts file formats so it should be able to convert MPEG files to AVI hopefully without loss of quality. I use SUPER &copy that is easy to try and free. Should that be a good way to go?

So I could try VideoRedo if you think that is better for my purpose. I could add the sound with another program.

I had a look at the instructions for Womble Multimedia on their website and it looked as though it could be simpler to use than Corel VideoStudio X2 and do what I want. So do you think that Corel VideoStudio X2 may not be the easiest and fastest software to do the editing that I require?

Your help is appreciated
    Regards Richard.

nealeb

Portal Member
    May 3, 2009
    Home Country
    I use VideoReDo a lot for trimming recordings from off-air broadcasts - chop the lead-in/lead-out, cut out advert breaks, join a programme that was transmitted in two halves with a news break in the middle, that kind of thing. VRD lets you quickly skim through the file but also allows frame-level positioning for cuts. Simple interface although functionality is limited compared to other editors. However, speed and simplicity score for me for this kind of use. As mentioned, it is mpeg only (but will read .ts output from MP).

nwanders

April 29, 2009
    Looking for at mpeg/h264 editor myself. Used to use VideoRedo, but now I'm using hdtv2mpeg for clipping .ts files from MP. Unfortunaly it will not accept the subtitle stream - I use projectX for those... (prepare for bit of a learning curve) Pure mpeg2 though.

Like dvd flick to put those edited cartoons etc for the kids on dvds for holiday trips... Or handbrake to put them on the iphone.

nwanders

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

Ray (Paranoid Delusion) did state that Media Portal could do some editing so it may work for my purposes below. However, I am not sure if it would be the best way to go.
    He stated:
    "The inbuilt video editor only works for TV recordings done as mpeg2 in ts wrapper, h.264 does not work currently, so for editing out adverts great or joining video, say it was a two part show, but that's its complete functionality, unless someone would like to do a major rework on it.
    You save, the start\end points that are added by yourself, the only way to find if it does what you wish on a basic level is try it."

I left the video recorder on for much longer than the program lasted. Is there a simple way to delete the end of the recording that I do not want in Portal while retaining the part that I do want? If so, how is it done or what buttons do I click on to do it?

I could possibly use another program. However, I would have to know the locations of the file on the hard drive to open it. Where would I find the recorded files if I was to use another program?

Would VideoReDo be simpler to learn or easier to use than mpeg/h264 or do you think Womble Multimedia may be easier and quicker to delete a number of sections inside a long video?

Your help is appreciated,
    Regards Richard Hole.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

Do you know how I could use Media Portal to erase part of a recording like described in my last question above?

I would also like to know where I can find the location of the files of the recorded TV programs so that I could back them up or edit them with another program if Media Portal does not edit them in all the ways that I want. Do you know where the files of the recorded TV programs are located?

Your help would be appreciated,
    Regards Richard.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Hi

Do you know how I could use Media Portal to erase part of a recording like described in my last question above?

Try hitting "F1" in Corel VideoStudio :confused:

I would also like to know where I can find the location of the files of the recorded TV programs so that I could back them up or edit them with another program if Media Portal does not edit them in all the ways that I want. Do you know where the files of the recorded TV programs are located?

go to tv server config -- recording settings -- recording folders

it will show you what path the files are in for each tuner.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

My Corel VideoStudio trial has expired. However, I could not get that software to do what I wanted.

Ray (Paranoid Delusion) did state that Media Portal could do some editing or erasing of scenes as quoted in my earlier post above. How is this done?

Your help would be appreciated,
    Regards Richard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom