Enable Skip on remote? (1 Viewer)

jriker1

Portal Member
March 15, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have some Xbox 360 remotes, newer black one and older white one. They work great except for the skip forward and skip back. I hear MP beeping on the TV when I push the buttons, it just doesn't do anything. Is there a way to program MP to use them for specific commands? Saw the remote area of the configuration program but wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks.

JR

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I use the white xbox 360 remote on Windows 7 without issue, except I had to update a registry entry to get the remote to work correctly.
    If you are confident enough to edit the registry you need to:
    1. Open regedit
    2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    3. Set the REG_DWORD CodeSetNum0 to 0
    4. Reboot
    Explanation: This sets the channel that windows listens to remote commands on, by default it's set to 1 which is the regular MCE remote channel, the xbox remote is channel 8, but setting it to 0 sets Windows to listen to all channels (and therefore all 'MCE' remotes).
    I haven't tested on later versions of Windows but the registry key still exists on Windows 10 so it will possibly still work.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks Brownard. Isn't that more for when the remote doesn't work at all or did your remote work but the jump/skip forward/back buttons didn't work and that fixed it?

For reference, I just received a HP MCE remote and was excited that it powered on my NUC. However the skip/jump buttons still make noise but don't do anything. Need to get this over the finish line for my dad who's in a home so he can watch movies. Darn place only has analog TV. How do I get those skip buttons working. Apparently receiving them because the make noise but don't do anything I can see.

Note from the advanced logging I believe these are the items I'm looking at to map:

[2017-10-04 18:53:40,241] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] -
    HID Event, DOWN, Generic, Usage: ScanPreviousTrack (0x00B6), UsagePage: Consumer (0x000C), UsageCollection: ConsumerControl (0x0001), Input Report: 0x02B600, Repeat: 53
    [2017-10-04 18:53:40,241] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] - HID: Repeat
    [2017-10-04 18:53:40,242] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] - HID: try mapping usage 0x00B6
    [2017-10-04 18:54:00,804] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] -
    HID Event, DOWN, Generic, Usage: ScanNextTrack (0x00B5), UsagePage: Consumer (0x000C), UsageCollection: ConsumerControl (0x0001), Input Report: 0x02B500, Repeat: 15
    [2017-10-04 18:54:00,804] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] - HID: Repeat
    [2017-10-04 18:54:00,805] [Log ] [23 ] [INFO ] - HID: try mapping usage 0x00B5

Thanks.

JR

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For reference, I just received a HP MCE remote and was excited that it powered on my NUC. However the skip/jump buttons still make noise but don't do anything.
    I am reasonably sure that the reason that the skip buttons don't seem to do anything is because in the default configuration they are not defined to do anything. In MP, the default configuration uses the UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT buttons to perform skips:

UP and DOWN perform an immediate skip for a time interval that you can specify in "MP Config". I have mine set to one minute.

LEFT and RIGHT perform a variable skip that depends on how many times you press the button (e.g. press the button three times and then wait for the skip to occur). The sizes of the skip are configurable in "MP Config". I have mine set to: 5 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins.

See this page in the Wiki for more details:
    Skip Steps

It is possible to modify the functions assigned to buttons on the remote, so you could change the default config to enable the skip buttons to perform skips. Start here to see how to do it:
    Mapping Buttons

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    I figured it out. Altered ScanPreviousTrack ScanNextTrack to be the skip buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom