Enabling 5.1 through SPDIF? (1 Viewer)

DustBunny

Portal Member
January 12, 2006
I'm using PowerDVD 5 for DVD playback and my receiver just gets 2-channel PCM playback when I use MediaPortal. When I play the same DVD with PowerDVD alone, the receiver will recognize AC3, PCM or DTS -- stereo or 5.1 channel. I'm using SPDIF as my audio output.

I've gone into PowerDVD and set the audio out to SPDIF 5.1. Any ideas?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Providing the codec is set to output DD over SPDIF and youve told MP to use those codecs (is that what you mean or are you launching PowerDVD from MyPlugins?) it should work. Your not using AC3Filter or FFDShow are you?

DustBunny

Portal Member
    January 12, 2006
    I'll have a look at it again tonight. There were a few Cyberlink codecs to choose from within MP (?) so I tried them all and my receiver would only show PCM stereo from the computer. In PowerDVD, there is a place to enable 5.1 and again, it works when I just play a movie with PowerDVD.

I'd prefer to have MP handle the video playback without having to open up PowerDVD, but will do that if I can't get this to work.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    DustBunny said:
    I'd prefer to have MP handle the video playback without having to open up PowerDVD, but will do that if I can't get this to work.

Thats the question I meant. Ok so your watching dvds inside MP (I wasnt sure what you meant before).

If start the DVD inside MP and then grab yourself a copy of graphedit you can see what its doing. Open graphedit, click File and click Connect to Remote Graph and then click the first line in the list. It should show what MP is using to play the DVD. When you see your specific codec you chose, right click and do properties. You can then set the settings properly there.

dmcdlrn

Portal Member
    October 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know I'm resurrecting a really old post, but this is exactly what mine is doing and I can't get graphedit to work. I have tried every combination I can think of but just can't get it to work.

I start MP playing a DVD. ffdshow will show that it is decoding to 5.1, but only the front left and right are working. If I flip to Power DVD, it will output fine... my receiver lights up for dts decoding and everything. When running from MP, I launch graphedit and open the remote graph fine. It shows the graph, but if I right click to choose properties.. it states no properties are available. If I right click and choose properties on the directsound device, it locks it up all together. Graphedit doesn't see anything when I run PowerDVD.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I start MP playing a DVD. ffdshow will show that it is decoding to 5.1, but only the front left and right are working. If I flip to Power DVD, it will output fine... my receiver lights up for dts decoding and everything.
    well PowerDVD is not using ffdshow for output, and decoding 5.1 seems to just mean that you have to plugin in all 6 speakers directly into your soundcard because they are decoded to analog, not passed thought SPDIF ;)

i suggest that you all simply set MPA as audio codec for Television/DVD/Movies.
    then start MediaPortal configuration and do this:
    MP-config.jpg

thats easy and just works :D

dmcdlrn

Portal Member
    October 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ah, I totally missed that connection. I had tried that Codec, but didn't see the options for it below. All good now! Thanks!

Simian60

Portal Member
    October 12, 2007
    i suggest that you all simply set MPA as audio codec for Television/DVD/Movies.
    then start MediaPortal configuration and do this:
    View attachment 13083

thats easy and just works :D

I have a USB AISO optical-out sound card, and I'm getting no sound at all with DVDs.

AVIs & FLAC audio files work fine; I've set the MPA audio configuration as shown, but all I get is some buzzing during one of the DVD menus, otherwise silence - the DTS indicator doesn't light up on my amp.

I'll attempt to attach debug logs to this post - one from playing a dvd, one an avi where I get sound.

Simon.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Simian60 if the MPA setting as described doesnt work, then the problem is caused outside MediaPortal.
    most likely the soundcard or its driver/configuration.

cant help there, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom