Tools and other software EPG-Buddy a new EPG Tool with easy usage. (5 Viewers)

FlatEric

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2010
    Sauerland
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    EPG-Buddy seems not to work for me in the task-scheduler (maybe after switching to Windows 11).
    When i enter the command of the task ("C:\Program Files (x86)\EPG-Buddy\Grab-EPG.exe") in a cmd-window nothing happens.
    When i start manual grabbing in Epg-Buddy it works fine.
    Do i have to add an option or parameter to the command ?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    At first, EPG-Buddy wasn't developed nor tested on Win 11. Also most programs are working a tool like EPG-Buddy that utilized some of the Windows own functionality could have some issues.

Grab-EPG. exe needs tons of parameter to work properly. Running it directly from CLI is not a good idea. If you do so, you need to enter all the configuration work you've done before in EPG-Buddy as parameter by hand.

Setting a task to the taskplaner needs admin rights. That's why EPG-Buddy is running a helper tool if you want to set the schedule. This helper tool requests admin rights and then set the schedule. As I don't have Win 11 (and probably wont get it in next years to come), I only can guess what's going wrong. Maybe the schedule format has changed again. This happens during the Win 10 versions already once. In earlier Windows versions (until Win 10 1909) the schedules are always backward compatible but since then Microsoft decided to remove the backward compatibility, for whatever reason they might have. That's why you need to set the proper version of taskplaner in EPG-Buddy settings. But if Microsoft has something changed in meantime again, I'm not able to fix this as I don't have Win 11 and I don't want to have Win11 at all.

You can check this by using the xml file created by the helper tool once you've tried to set the schedule. It's named "Grab-EPG.xml" and can be found inside the EPG_Buddy installation folder. You can try to import this XML into the taskplaner using the Windows internal tool to manage schedules. I don't know where to find it in Win 11. On Win 10 it is in "Computer Management" (or similar, my Windows runs in German and here it's called Computerverwaltung) you can access by right clicking on the start button. But as told, if this is the same in Win 11 I can't tell...

If the version didn't match, the tool is moaning about. If it match it should import the schedule.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    EPG Buddy is working fine on both my HTPC and previously with MP2 on the Desktop PC I use for testing, both are Win 11 so don't believe that is the problem. I simply used the "Create Schedule" button in the EPG Buddy setup GU, very straight forward.

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also for me it works on a Win11 system, I also think it’s not about the OS version.

FlatEric

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2010
    Sauerland
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    the file "Grab-EPG.xml" contains this command as the action of the scheduled task: "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPG-Buddy\Grab-EPG.exe".
    When i import this file as scheduled task this is the action of the task (no parameters for grab-epg.exe).
    Starting this task leads to no visible action for me. This goes also for entering this command in a cmd-box.
    Using the "Grab EPG now"-button in EPG-Buddy opens a cmd-box and starts the desired action.
    So i also think that EPG-Buddy can work with Win11.
    As Lehmden mentioned maybe the creation of the scheduled task works different.
    Can anyone please take a look to the action that is set in an correct running scheduled task and write it here ?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can anyone please take a look to the action that is set in an correct running scheduled task and write it here ?
    As shown in the screenshots below the task was generated using the "Create Schedule" in the EPG Buddy GUI from an account with admin privs. and the same account was logged in when it ran successfully at 18:00 today.
    Let me know if I can give you any further info.

sched.jpgsched2.jpg

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Lehmden
    I added the manual for EPG-Buddy to the Wiki besides the other alternatives.
    EPG Buddy
    Please free to modify or update. I took mostlty the content with copy paste from the first post of this thread. Not sure, if things are outdated and updates are explained later in this thread.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Thanks for adding EPG-Buddy to the wiki. Most of the information is correct. Only one part was outdated in first post. I've changed this here, but have no working login credentials for editing the wiki myself.
    The outdated part is the list of supported TV databases. Recent there are 8 different options, in Wiki there are only 6. It's important as one of the missing options there is TVMosaic. In Wiki there is:
    Recently there are 6 options to select.

• SQLite - for MediaPortal 2
    • MySQL - for MediaPortal 1 and probably MediaPortal 2 (untested)
    • MSSQL - for MediaPortal 1
    • ArgusTV
    • NextPVR
    • Manual – for every XMLTV compatible TV solution.

For NextPVR and SQLite you need to enter the path to the database- file. For MySQL, Argus and MSSQL you need to enter the name or IP of the SQL server, username and password.
    This part and the screenshot above needs to be updated with the text and the pic in first post. I would have done it myself, but I can't log in... I've requested a new password but this also did not work. So could you be so kind to add those changes to the wiki. Thanks.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would have done it myself, but I can't log in... I've requested a new password but this also did not work. So could you be so kind to add those changes to the wiki. Thanks.
    @high I can also not log in to wiki any more. My password is not accepted.
    Folgende Fehler sind aufgetreten:
    Beim Anmeldeversuch ist ein Netzwerkfehler aufgetreten. Versuchen Sie es erneut und wenden Sie sich an Ihren Administrator, wenn das Problem weiter besteht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom