EPG for DVB-T not working (1 Viewer)

Omarvel

March 25, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I have just started using MP but I am having problems setting up EPG for DVB-T correctly using TV-server. I have followed all instructions but the TV guide in MP only shows "No program data" for all channels. I have also tried restarting the PC as someone suggested in another thread with no avail. Any help would be appreciated

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

I have followed all instructions...
    Which instructions are you referring to? (A link would be helpful.)

AFAIK normally DVB-T EPG for the UK should be setup as follows:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Go to the tuner list.
      • Ensure the "Grab EPG" column is "yes" for at least one of your DVB-T tuners. It's yes by default for all DVB tuners. To change, select the tuner, click edit, tick/untick the "allow this card to be used for EPG grabbing" option, then click "save" to close.
    3. Go to the DVB EPG section.
      • Ensure "grab EPG only for channels on the same transponder" is unticked.
      • Ensure one or both of the "enabled" settings is ticked as per your preference.
    4. Go to the DVB EPG -> radio EPG grabber sub-section.
      • Ensure "store data only for selected channels" is unticked.
      • Ensure all channels are unticked.
    5. Go to the DVB EPG -> TV EPG grabber sub-section.
      • Ensure "store data only for selected channels" is unticked.
      • Untick all channels except one full time (24 hour) SD channel. BBC One (not HD) would be a good choice.
    6. Go to the manual control section.
      • Click "refresh DVB EPG".
    7. Close TV Server Configuration.
    Now, if you enabled EPG grabbing when TV Server is idle (not recording or streaming live TV) at step 3, the guide in MP should fill after about 15 minutes or so. If you only enabled EPG grabbing when time-shifting/recording, you'll have to view the channel you selected at step 5 (eg. BBC One) for approximately 15 minutes before the guide fills.

Right @CyberSimian ? :)

Omarvel

March 25, 2016
    Home Country
    CyberSimian, thank you for your response. i have indeed setup the DVB-T EPG in exactly the way you have kindly described. i have not however waited for 15 minutes as I had assumed the EPG will show right away. I will wait and see, if the EPG does not show after 15 minutes what do you suggest I do?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    CyberSimian, thank you for your response.
    I'm mm, from New Zealand. CyberSimian is a fellow forum member from the UK who knows the EPG setup details with more certainty than I. :)

i have indeed setup the DVB-T EPG in exactly the way you have kindly described. i have not however waited for 15 minutes as I had assumed the EPG will show right away.
    Ahhh, the wait is critical. It takes awhile for TV Server to collect and store the EPG. There's a lot of it to deal with.

if the EPG does not show after 15 minutes what do you suggest I do?
    As with most problems, I'd suggest you attach log files so that I can check TV Server is collecting EPG as intended.
    There are several ways to collect the log files. If MediaPortal is installed on the same PC as TV Server (ie. single-seat/stand-alone setup), you can use the MediaPortal Watchdog tool with option 3 to export your existing log files.

Otherwise, if MediaPortal is not installed:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files you find in that folder.
    Once you have the zip file, you attach it using the "upload a file" button. Make sure to wait for the upload to complete (ie. the upload progress bar) before clicking "post reply".

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No need to apologise. I'm just happy to have been able to assist and that you're now sorted. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    AFAIK normally DVB-T EPG for the UK should be setup as follows:
    Yes, that is exactly right. :)

i have not however waited for 15 minutes as I had assumed the EPG will show right away.
    The EPG is broadcast continuously, but it takes a finite amount of time to broadcast seven days of EPG for all of the channels. Precisely how much time is a matter of some debate. The figure of four minutes has been quoted in the past in other fora, but that was when there were significantly fewer channels broadcast via DVB-T/T2 in the UK.

I did some experimenting several months ago, which indicated that most of the EPG will be received within about 6-8 minutes, but it is variable, due to the way that the EPG is broadcast (it is not broadcast uniformly). In some tests, the full EPG had still not been received after 10 minutes, but the parts that had not been received would have been for 6-7 days in the future.

MP stores the EPG on disk, so you might see gaps in the EPG only when you first setup MP (or reset the EPG); at all other times you will see an EPG for 7 full days, plus the remainder of the current day.

I think that 10 minutes is a good value to use for the timeout for EPG grabbing when not watching or recording, and it is the value that I use.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom