MP2 - V2.3 EPG Frustration................ (2 Viewers)

picturepete

Portal Member
February 29, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sooo I'm looking to convert over from DVBlogic to a new solution to watch TV throughout the house, Mediaportal looks like just the thing and indeed after installing it looks like a great product, but I am so frustrated with the EPG solution on Mediaportal 2, I have tried the use of Digiguide and making a xmltv file which looked good but when trying to import it you only get half the channels even though the file showed all the cahnnels needed, I then tried the grabber which appeared to work but then ended up with a blank EPG and no matter what I did it would not repopulate, so then onto webepg wow looked great but then some channels were wrong ie BBC2 showed as BBC1 so changed the web link to BBC2 but no change, playing with it then ended up with some channels populated but no information on lots of channels which had information before. Before I kick the system into touch has anybody been able to simply invoke an EPG for Freesat for UK. DVBlogic worked great with Digiguide you simply subscribed to their £2.99 annual account, selected the channels you wanted and they would download and populate WMC instantly.

Pete

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sooo I'm looking to convert over from DVBlogic to a new solution to watch TV throughout the house, Mediaportal looks like just the thing and indeed after installing it looks like a great product, but I am so frustrated with the EPG solution on Mediaportal 2, I have tried the use of Digiguide and making a xmltv file which looked good but when trying to import it you only get half the channels even though the file showed all the cahnnels needed, I then tried the grabber which appeared to work but then ended up with a blank EPG and no matter what I did it would not repopulate, so then onto webepg wow looked great but then some channels were wrong ie BBC2 showed as BBC1 so changed the web link to BBC2 but no change, playing with it then ended up with some channels populated but no information on lots of channels which had information before. Before I kick the system into touch has anybody been able to simply invoke an EPG for Freesat for UK. DVBlogic worked great with Digiguide you simply subscribed to their £2.99 annual account, selected the channels you wanted and they would download and populate WMC instantly.

Pete
    If some channels are missing in EPG, it's mostly because they were not correctly mapped.
    IF the EPG is empty, the import failed due to e.g. corrupt characters (many TV-providers do not fulfill the standards). But you should see also a failure message after the import is completed, don't you?

I recommend EPG-Buddy. Search for it in forum. But I'm not sure how far UK is supported.
    @Lehmden

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    UK is supported via Rytec and Webgrab in EPG-Buddy. Rytec is recommended as it delivers more data and is much faster...

Freesat should be accessible with DVB-EPG inside the TV configuration tool afaik... There is a Howto in the Wiki to find:

It's for MP1 but this part is identical in MP1 and MP2 so the howto can be directly used for MP2 too...

picturepete

Portal Member
    February 29, 2020
    Home Country
    The EPG for Freesat seemed to work, however there were a few anomalies so I corrected these and the went into manual and clicked on the refresh epg, after this the epg was blank and nothing I could do would make it repopulate, the webepg worked but as I said for instance the auto populate made bbc1 the same as bbc2 changed the bbc2 mapping and then re grabbed but in some instances it woiuld only grab 50 ish channels instead of 88 tried again the it would grab 88 channels but now bbc2 showed no info as did the next 4 channels which before were populated. When trying the create a xmltv file the file looks good but when using the epg plugin it only brings in about 40 channels the rest are blank but the file does show them. I have been using DVBlogic for 10 years + and WMC which honestly has been perfect especially with she who must be obeyed :) so I don't think I'm a starter at this but I can't help feeling I am doing something silly.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tried the use of Digiguide and making a xmltv file which looked good but when trying to import it you only get half the channels even though the file showed all the cahnnels needed,
    This normally happens when the XML file is not (fully) XMLTV compatible or if you have not done the mapping correctly inside the XMLTV Plugin...

picturepete

Portal Member
    February 29, 2020
    Home Country
    Hi.
    UK is supported via Rytec and Webgrab in EPG-Buddy. Rytec is recommended as it delivers more data and is much faster...

Freesat should be accessible with DVB-EPG inside the TV configuration tool afaik... There is a Howto in the Wiki to find:

It's for MP1 but this part is identical in MP1 and MP2 so the howto can be directly used for MP2 too...

So I downloaded EPG-Buddy but my av jumped in and said there was a Trojan in one of the files is-1C860.tmp

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I downloaded EPG-Buddy but my av jumped in and said there was a Trojan in one of the files is-1C860.tmp
    It’s not a trojan. Most virus scanners have false alarms for tools written in certain program languages. I think virus scanners generally do not like tools from @Lehmden :LOL:

picturepete

Portal Member
    February 29, 2020
    Home Country
    It’s not a trojan. Most virus scanners have false alarms for tools written in certain program languages. I think virus scanners generally do not like tools from @Lehmden :LOL:

Thanks I'll disable it and see what happens, I have gone through the set up again for the epg grabber as per the instructions on the page sent, how long should it take to start propagating the data? I have had ITV on for 10 minutes but nothing is showing.

1604137359512.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    There is a Howto in the Wiki to find
    There is a second Wiki page describing DVB EPG setup, and I would recommend this second page in preference to the page that you linked. The second page gives more detail regarding DVB EPG setup:

I was not aware of the page that you linked, and from a quick read, I am not sure that it is 100% correct. :(
    (I will review it and correct any errors when I have some idle time.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think virus scanners generally do not like tools from @Lehmden
    Sad but true. I don't know why the AV scanners don't like AutoIt. Not only my tools, no (nearly) every program written in AutoIt is at least sometimes treated as a virus without being one for sure. Even completely empty programs (only one line with a comment and then compiled) that absolutely are not able to do anything (no matter if good or bad) are marked as Trojan in about 50% of all AV scanners out there. I've send the AV companies the executable and the source code but never get a single answer from them. Maybe they are too ashamed as I got them... Only Microsoft once gave me a note that my tool is save and no virus. Half a year later the Defender again marked it as virus. :mad:

I was not aware of the page that you linked, and from a quick read, I am not sure that it is 100% correct.
    Thanks. I don't use DVB-EPG at all as it is not really usable here in Germany. This was the first thing I could find in Wiki, so if this is not correct it would be great if someone (you?) may correct it. I'm not able to do it as I have no access to freeview EPG data at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom