EPG Grabber for terrestrial channels not working (1 Viewer)

reviTULize

Portal Member
September 2, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Greetings!!
First time poster. I did my due diligence to find my answer, but I'm not sure if I am searching correctly...so, here is my issue.

I am currently migrating from MCE(still using on old Win7 box) and I really love the interface and what I see, so far.
All of the Quick Setup stuff seems to be working(pics, movies, music, etc...). However, I am having a tough time with the TV EPG Grabber. MCE works fine to grab all of my EPG data(after the July un/reinstall), so I know the info is coming OTA and my tuners can grab it.

Hauppauge 418 BDA Tuner
Hauppauge 885 BDA Tuner/Demod

I gave up on the Grabber and decided to use WebEPG. I have modified the .xml file for about seven entries and it worked pretty good, but I could spend multiple hours trying to map cable channels to non-cable channels...and some of them are not available through the cable provider(e.g.- channel 2.1-I can find...channels 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 I cannot) so I have no idea how/where to get the data from.

I just thought I would check to see if I am missing something to get the Grabber to work. I have already tried to manually "Refresh DVB EPG"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

MCE works fine to grab all of my EPG data(after the July un/reinstall), so I know the info is coming OTA and my tuners can grab it.
    Actually WMC downloads its EPG data from Microsoft. In other words, the EPG data you see isn't coming from OTA.

I gave up on the Grabber...
    Would I be correct to assume you're talking about the DVB EPG grabber?
    If so, you've done the right thing. The DVB EPG grabber doesn't support grabbing ATSC EPG data. ATSC (the digital TV standard used in USA, Canada, South Korea) is quite different to DVB (the digital standard used in most of the rest of the world).

As far as WebEPG is concerned...
    My understanding is that you're able to select the lineup as well as the area. So, if you're only receiving ATSC OTA channels, you should be able to select the OTA lineup rather than a cable lineup... and I would have thought that should have given you info for all your channels.

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. Now I understand what that is. I have been watching the DVB EPG grabber cycle through all of it's channels, but now I know why I am not getting data.

The setup wiki states that you must select a cable provider...see below
    1. Go to TV listings, enter your zipcode and select a cable provider. Make sure you press go when you set a zipcode and select a TV Provider. For over the air antenna you can use Comcast or another cable provider for your zipcode. This should give complete listings for your local TV stations. It is important to enter zipcode and select a TV Provider for your local area so WebGrab can download complete local listings. If you use a generic provider, WebGrab will only download listings for major network shows and will not have full listings.
    I do not have a cable provider and the channel lineups are different for OTA

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Now I understand what that is. I have been watching the DVB EPG grabber cycle through all of it's channels, but now I know why I am not getting data.
    Yeah. :)
    I recommend you actually disable the DVB EPG grabber. Otherwise it is just costing you money, wasting power for no EPG data. To disable, just untick the 2 "enabled" checkboxes in the "DVB EPG" section of TV Server Configuration.

Yes, I think the wiki information may be incomplete on this subject.

Are you able to tell me what your zip code is?
    That way I can try to figure out which lineups are available to you and how to configure appropriately.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    imdb only gives tv listings for cable/satellite, nothing for antenna/ATSC so you need to pick a cable/satellite lineup that also has your local ASTC channels. Works ok for the main local stations that are on all cable options, but sometimes you have to hunt around to find all the stations

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Now I understand what that is. I have been watching the DVB EPG grabber cycle through all of it's channels, but now I know why I am not getting data.
    Yeah. :)
    I recommend you actually disable the DVB EPG grabber. Otherwise it is just costing you money, wasting power for no EPG data. To disable, just untick the 2 "enabled" checkboxes in the "DVB EPG" section of TV Server Configuration.

Yes, I think the wiki information may be incomplete on this subject.

Are you able to tell me what your zip code is?
    That way I can try to figure out which lineups are available to you and how to configure appropriately.
    74119 Tulsa, Ok[DOUBLEPOST=1441167954][/DOUBLEPOST]
    imdb only gives tv listings for cable/satellite, nothing for antenna/ATSC so you need to pick a cable/satellite lineup that also has your local ASTC channels. Works ok for the main local stations that are on all cable options, but sometimes you have to hunt around to find all the stations
    yep...that's exactly what I have been doing. I am not able to find all of them though.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I don't use imdb/WebEPG any more, for a few networks/channels I'd go to the network webpage, see if they have a "find your channel" option to see what cable companies carried the network/channel. Sometimes used other zipcodes but in my timezone.

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    I don't use imdb/WebEPG any more, for a few networks/channels I'd go to the network webpage, see if they have a "find your channel" option to see what cable companies carried the network/channel. Sometimes used other zipcodes but in my timezone.
    thanks for looking that up. since you don't use WebEPG any more, is there something easier to use? I plan to set this up for a few friends/family and would like an easy solution for each.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I use SchedulesDirect ($25/yr) with mc2xml and the xmltv-plugin for my local ATSC TV channels near San Jose Calif. All of the USA EPG options need some "user help" to get configured correctly.

There is a SchedulesDirect-plugin that works ok for ATSC setups. You can also get the mc2xml "donator" option ($20) with the xmltv-plugin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom