EPG on Startup = #TV.Guide.ChannelName and no EPG (1 Viewer)

Dr Morris

Portal Member
September 25, 2012
Dorset
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All, had lots of problems since the install of MP1.6 from MP1.5->1.6 pre-release. Have now uninstalled MP in its entirety and re-installed and still have these problems.

When starting MP (initially sometimes or certainly after a crash), the EPG loads with no EPG and the attached screenshot. A restart of MP makes no difference but a restart of the PC does. I am attaching some logs where I think this is included as I have other problems relating to Titan and myhome.xml missing - I guess these may be related!.

Appreciate any pointers as I continue with my learning curve :)

regards

D

Attachments

• MP failure.PNG
    MP failure.PNG
    465 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can't access the TV Server database configuration file => can't access the TV Server database => can't access channels and EPG info => display like your picture:
    [2014-04-06 19:11:25,724] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Unable to create/modify gentle.config The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config' because it is being used by another process., at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)
    at TvPlugin.ChannelNavigator.SetupDatabaseConnection()

I'm not sure what that other process using the file might be. Possibly you have a "zombie" MP or MP configuration process still running after the crash. Use task manager to check for this.

Dr Morris

Portal Member
    September 25, 2012
    Dorset
    Home Country
    thanks for the note. I will look out for the rogue process - is it a straightforward MP process or does it have a particular name? Could this problem be related to the broader problems I am having as evidenced in the logs do you think?

i can understand why this might happen after a hang where I have had to kill MP off to get the watch process to create a crash dump, but on the odd occasion when its starting from cold I don't get.

Any thoughts on this and should I post a different thread for the hangs and other misbehaviour?

Regards

D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks for the note. I will look out for the rogue process - is it a straightforward MP process or does it have a particular name?
    I have no idea. :)
    Most likely it is MediaPortal.exe or Configuration.exe... but you won't know until you look at the process list.

Could this problem be related to the broader problems I am having as evidenced in the logs do you think?
    The only other problem you mentioned was with Titan, and I'm no expert with anything outside TV Server and TV playback. In other words I'm not sure that I can answer this. I think more specific information would be helpful - a list of symptom, date/time and screenshot if relevant.

i can understand why this might happen after a hang where I have had to kill MP off to get the watch process to create a crash dump...
    How are you using the watchdog? :confused:
    You don't have to kill MP to produce log files when using it via the start menu debug-mode link. Simply close MP at any time and logs will be collected.

...but on the odd occasion when its starting from cold I don't get.
    There are 7 MP startups in your log files. I can't be certain when you're cold booting or really even when the problem occurs (gentle.config could be corrupting and getting replaced by the TV Server). So again, a specific date/time when this occurred is necessary.
    Also, how full is your system disk (c:\)?

mm

Dr Morris

Portal Member
    September 25, 2012
    Dorset
    Home Country
    I'll look out for the rogue processes and report back when I find the cause. I will also post a specific set of logs for the failure in order to help - Watch this space :)

The detail around Titan is the main MP screen tells me of an error with titan/myhome.xml. The file exists and even after the clean MPinstall it still reports badly. I'm thinking there is a rogue DLL somewhere else, but not sure what Titan relies on to go look see. Will extend my search MM - wondered if there might be a common fault.

I have problems when MP hangs and I have to use Task Manager to kill it off and that's when the watchdog kicks in. forgot about the start menu(y)

C Drive has stacks of space - its an SSD and after the problems post 1.6 install I wondered if there was a fault or Windows was bust as the MP installs are always so well behaved. Disk and Windows checks out fine.

Regards
    D

Dr Morris

Portal Member
    September 25, 2012
    Dorset
    Home Country
    Hi mm,

recurrences of the EPG problem have reduced now and not had anything since MP 1.7 install. I was unable to find any particular processes that seemed to cause the problem on the odd ocassion. Hopeful that other challenges improve with 1.7. - will raise this back up if problems persist.

Thanks for your assistance.

D

TimEng

October 1, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the same issue today suddenly. I used without trouble yesterday. This afternoon I scanned for FM Radio Stations. When I launched MP the TV guide no longer works. I use M2CXML and tried recreating the tvguide. Any Ideas?

TimEng

October 1, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I tried uninstalling and reinstall and I get the same issue. I am using Windows 10.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @TimEng
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Go to the "Radio Channels" section.
    3. Ensure there is an "All Channels" group present (i.e. there should be a tab named "All Channels"). If there is no "All Channels" group, that is the problem; the solution would simply be to create the "All Channels" group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom