error locking tvservice (1 Viewer)

tricke1

June 22, 2008
My media portal server has been rock solid for quite some time but lately it's been locking up. The service won't shut down and i can't kill the process. the only option is to reboot the pc. I noticed the error log has this message but i can't find any info on it. any ideas?

[2023-07-27 08:26:06,774] [Log ] [67 ] [ERROR] - Exception :confused:ystem.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne()
at TvService.CardTuner.WaitForCancelledTuneToFinish(Int32 subchannel)
at TvService.CardTuner.CancelTune(Int32 subchannel)
at TvService.CardReservationBase.RequestCardTuneReservation(ITvCardHandler tvcard, IChannel tuningDetail, IUser user, Int32 idChannel)
at TvService.CardReservationHelper.RequestCardReservation(IUser user, CardDetail cardDetail, TVController tvController, ICardReservation cardResImpl, Int32 idChannel)
at TvService.CardReservationHelper.RequestCardReservations(IUser user, IEnumerable`1 availCardsForReservation, TVController tvController, ICardReservation cardResImpl, IEnumerable`1 ignoreCards, Int32 idChannel)
at TvService.TVController.IterateCardsUntilTimeshifting(IUser& user, Channel channel, Boolean forceCardId, ICollection`1 freeCardsForReservation, TvResult& result, VirtualCard& card)
at TvService.TVController.StartTimeShifting(IUser& user, Int32 idChannel, VirtualCard& card, Boolean forceCardId, Boolean& cardChanged)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My media portal server has been rock solid for quite some time but lately it's been locking up.
    I don't know what the problem is, but the log extract shows that TV Server was trying to tune a channel. Possibly that channel has moved to a different frequency or stopped broadcasting entirely.

I would suggest that you rescan all of your tuners to create a fresh list of channels. Do this first with the setting Enable channel movement detection selected. This will (as far as is possible) preserve any channel-name edits you have made, preserve the list of deselected channels, and preserve the recording schedule.

If you find that the above does not fix the problem, then more drastic action is required. Select all of your TV channels and delete them. Then select all of your radio channels and delete those. Then rescan your tuners. Note that you will lose any channel-name edits, lose the list of deselected channels, and lose the recording schedule.

Finally, I should emphasise that the above suggestions are merely guesswork, and I don't know whether they will solve your problem (so you might prefer to wait to see if anyone else has an idea of the cause of the problem).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tricke1

June 22, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of deleting all the channels and starting again. I was worried my hauppauge usb tuner was failing so I ordered a new one and when I installed it had to rescan and that may have cured the problem. Maybe I'll retry the original tuner now.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was worried my hauppauge usb tuner was failing so I ordered a new one
    There are two TV Server settings that may be relevant here:
    • Maximum free cards to try for recording (see this page in the Wiki).
    • Maximum free cards to try for timeshifting (see this page in the Wiki).
    The default for these settings is 0, which means "try all tuners". I originally had mine set that way, but I have come to the conclusion that 0 is not a good choice (except in special circumstances).

I currently have 6 tuners in my HTPC, and I previously had 8. With the timeouts that TV Server uses to receive and lock onto a signal, 6-8 tuners takes a long time if the channel has moved or is not broadcasting, which (if you are not aware of this) gives the appearance of TV Server having locked up and being unresponsive.

My view these days is that there is no point in trying more than one tuner. The special circumstances when it might be a good choice is if you have multiple tuners that have different capabilities, and you want TV Server to try one of each type (in which case place one of each type as the first two tuners in the list, and specify "try 2 tuners").

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom