EVR Renderer Not Working with h.264 (1 Viewer)

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot:-08-01-2008 19-31h - Revision:19843
MediaPortal Skin: Indigo
Windows Version: Vista 32bit SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.4GHz)
HDD: 1TB(2 x 500GB) SATA 7200rpm
Memory: 3GB DDR2 667
Motherboard: Intel G33
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8500GT
Video Card Driver: GeForce ForceWare 177.79
Sound Card: Sigmatel HD Audio Codec
Sound Card AC3: Optical Out
Sound Card Driver: 6.10.5405.0
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 8
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 8
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Harmony 550 mapped to MCE
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: Video card has HDMI connection.

Ever since RC2 came out I cannot watch h.264 movies using the EVR renderer. I have tried using different codecs and video drivers. What happens when I hit play is I'll get a black screen with the audio playing for about 15 seconds, then it will just stop. Sometimes I can hit the stop button to go back to the menu, but some other times I need to kill the app through task manager.

I have tried both different h.264 codecs and audio codecs. This all worked on the SVN's up to RC2. The VMR renderer is working so that's what I'm using for now.

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Home Country
Thanks, I bet that's it. I just installed UltraVNC and I think that disables aero. I'll check it when I get home.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks, I bet that's it. I just installed UltraVNC and I think that disables aero. I'll check it when I get home.

You can set ultravnc to disable aero when you connect and to reenable it when you disconnect.

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Home Country
    Ok, so I don't think Aero was the problem. It turns out that it was enabled, UltraVNC only disabled it when clients connected. I made sure it was enabled by closing the UltraVNC service and making sure it was enabled in the display properties.

But I did find something else out. It everything works fine with EVR if I use CoreAVC as my h.264 decoder. The problems occur when I try to use PowerDVD 8 as my h.264 decoder. The logs I attached above should be relevant then. Aero was enabled when I made those logs.

I'm certain that PowerDVD 8 as the h.264 decoder was working as of a few SVN's ago.

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Home Country
    I should also note that h.264, EVR, and PowerDVD 8 as the decoder was working with UltraVNC installed as of a few SVN's ago. I really don't think UltraVNC is the problem. I don't have the mirror video driver installed either.

It's not really a big deal. though. CoreAVC is working and it even seems to look better than PowerDVD's decoder.

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Home Country
    Well I guess my system is just messed up. I fired up KMPlayer and set the renderer to EVR and the same videos won't play there either. So this must not be related to MediaPortal.

If anybody else happens to come across this and knows what to do about it, please let me know.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    erm... you use your PC through VNC?
    or do you have a Monitor connected to it and encounter the issues then?

i am confused by your posts.. :confused:

since powerdvd codecs use HW-decoding done by the gpu, this could also be the cause of your issue.

xanadu1979

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Home Country
    I have it hooked up to my TV. I just use VNC to work on it so I don't have to sit in front of the TV.

I did some researching yesterday and found out that there is a bug with the Cyberlink decoder, Haali Splitter, nvidia cards, and the EVR renderer that causes the black screen. People have pinned it down to the Haali splitter. So I'm just using CoreAVC for now. My HTPC has a quad-core so it plays everything fine without hardware acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom