Exciting Team News - April Fool Joke (1 Viewer)

Your participation?

• Total voters

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    we're not talking about an April Fools day joke here right.

Toga

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd be happy to put money towards the running of the site, but I would agree with some of the comments here.
    when I first started using mediaportal the forums were really helpful in getting through some of the setup and asking for a fee to post questions would undoubtedly sare people off
    How about a donation/pledge drive like Wikipedia have done? Cap the amount at a years running cost, people can then donate what they like.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Tough call...

As others have said, you don' want to scare people off. So a forum tax is not a great idea, simply because you want to increase your user base - not scare them into going with MythTV, Sage etc.

You can't charge for downloads (how does SourceForge survive...?)

Asking those who contribute to plugins etc. (and I speak as an interested party here) seems like a retrograde step and almost certain to halt contributions in their tracks (recent 1.01 delays for improvements come to mind)

I agree that $10 isn't a huge stack of money but it does beggar the question of how many people would bother once the system is running smoothly (and here I am thinking about the V2, I don't want to be caught in a permanent upgrade cycle so it would have to be HUGE to be worth the effort).

Maybe a >>suggested<< contribution on download, seems to work for some others. I have paid for CCleaner, ForTheRecord (and MediaPortal) amongst others because I found them useful.

Maybe streamlining the system is not such a bad idea - while it is a thankless task slimming down the forums would be well worth it for the ease of finding things!

I don't want MediaPortal to disappear but I would always be cagey about permanenetly paying for something I already own (why I gave up Sky+ in fact).

Is there nowhere that this can be hosted, even if you restrict the hours to evenings only - what are your office server(s) doing then?

Not trying to be controversial but just wondered.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Personally, I wouldn't mind paying the $10 a year to keep the forum, but I do agree with the comments that it might put off new users.

Is the MP site not busy enough to get much benefit from the Google ads then? A friend of mine is involved in a PS2 emulator site and he actually makes a profit from it AFAIK, mostly from the ads.

Rob

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Also if you post current traffic information, maybe you will find donors as the server itself.
    I am running my own commercial server, and I am sure there are several of us here.. Depending on the traffic required, you may be better getting donation this way?

christian87

March 14, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    I'm not a rich man but give 10 $ for the MP Team is not a problem, especially for the very good work you have done !

Druski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Nps, tell me where to sign me up. It would be a very sad day to see this community disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom