EXIF support (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

what i would really be looking for is EXIF support for images so i can display that info together with my images in browse mode and fullscreen mode.

Ideally i would like to be able to setup something like a (or multiple) template(s) where i can select which EXIF data to display and where to display it on the screen :)

I might even do (parts of) that myself - but i first have learn a little more about c# development (i am one of those Java developers) ;-)

Bye
Ralf

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I wanted to make this request, too.
    So I will suppoert yours.

There is a OSD in Pictures, you know?
    At the moment it gives only little information:
    # size 2520x1980 or whatever and
    # name
    (can´t check at the moment)

would be the natural place for the additional exif information, I think.

tomtom21000

A

Anonymous

I already wrote some very good code in C# a while ago to accomplish exactly what you need. It allows you to enumerate all of the meta tags in the image file and display the values for each tag. I even put in descriptive names for each one of the tags.

I'd be happy to contribute this to Media Portal, but is is code that I wrote in my 'earlier' days of C#. I would like some time to clean this up a bit. I would also like to put the tag names into resources so that they can easily be localized to the users language (very easy to do).

I estimate one or two evenings at the most and I could give it to you guys if you think it would be helpful. Basically, you can use it like this:

Image Img = Image.FromFile(<somepath>);

MetaData Data = new MetaData(Img);

foreach (MetaProperty Prop in Data)
    {
    // Format a string to display on the screen
    string StringToDisplay = string.Format("{0}: {1}", Prop.DisplayName, Prop.Value);

// TODO: do something to display on the screen.
    }

A

Anonymous

*DISCLAIMER* I can probably get the code cleaned up in an evening or so... but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend is out. If you guys want this ASAP, let me know and I'll try and get on it.

eXe

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    This is great news.

Not sure wether you meant the programmers or the posters with your question about ASAP.
    For me the answer is, take your time. I am going on holidays to turkey for two weeks.
    But when I return, I will surely have a lot of new photographs for Media Portal :!:

tomtom21000

A

Anonymous

Well, I don't mind contributing the code and the time to get my code ready, but I would want to work with someone that has some knowledge of the application and can help me merge it in.

As soon as someone says "we're ready to add that feature, we'd like your code" I'll have it ready. If a bunch of people start posting here saying that they REALLY want this feature then maybe I'll try and figure out how to add it. I'd just like a little guidance if I can get it.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi exentric!

Thats mighty nice you wanna contribute some code to us :)
    Maybe you r interested to make more patches for us?

Anyway, best thing to do for you is talk to frodo.
    He will be back in about 1 week now I think.

You can ofcourse start the implementation and post it as a patch on SF.

Thanx again!

A

Anonymous

I can work on that. I'd like to chat with Frodo about this feature as well as the 'external tuner' feature I posted on in another thread, but I haven't known the best way of getting ahold of him. I don't mind contributing some time and code but I don't want to get in the way either.

I don't want to sound ignorant, but I haven't really contributed to an open-source project before. I've spent a lot of time on SourceForge and I've managed to get the MediaPortal code downloaded, but I don't really know how to submit a patch or work with anyone to merge in changes. Are these steps outlined somewhere? What do I need to do to get started helping?

I have very (and I do mean VERY) limited time between now and July. But XBOX Media Center has brought me so many hours of enjoyment since I first got my XBOX nearly three years ago that I would feel terrible not contributing now that it's in a language I'm proficient in.

A

Anonymous

Thinking ahead, where do you guys think it makes sense to display this information? I own an Olympus E-10 and it genereates a lot of information:

ImageTags.gif

I don't think that would all fit down the left-hand side... We could fit some of them there and the rest in a popup window, but if we did that which ones would always be shown and which ones go to a popup window? I would need help with one of the devs on how to get such a popup window to show...

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi eXentric,

first: i am very happy about your efforts :)

second: i think what is needed is a new xml config file (don't think there is one yet) where u can configure one or multiple overlay layouts for the EXIF info to be displayed in the pictures view.

The most important IMHO are things like resolution, date, comment - but others might be interested in other EXIF tags.

And as i mentioned in my original post: i would also like to see the comment/date propably when browsing the pictures - this is more interesting to me than the file name of the picture since i don't care about the dcf0XXX numbering of my cam and i also don't want to rename every single picture.

Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom