Experiencing Menu LAG- HELP! (1 Viewer)

Lupismaximus

Portal Member
April 13, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I know there are a ton of posts regarding this, but I couldn't find anything that direcetly addresses my problem.

I have some major lag problems that almost makes the program un usable.

My computer's drivers are all up to date, and I have a very powerful system.

Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Quad 3 Ghz
- 4 GB DDR3 1600 memory
- 150 Mb WD Raptor
- Nvidia 9800 GX2 GPU
- Window Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit
- DirectX 10

I have looked through the configuration manual and nothing helps. I am testing out Media Portal right now to determine which front end I would like to go with. Feature wise, I like this the best, but for stability I am considering SageTV.

I eventually will be transferring this to a newly built HTPC, but for now testing is done on my main PC.

thank you for your suggestions ahead of time.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    Well maybe you need a faster system. Just kidding of course, :D there's no way you should be suffering slowdowns with that hardware.

Have you looked at the task manager while MP is running to see if there is a process that isn't running correctly? You should also take a look at (and post) your MediaPortal logs to see if the problem can be identified there.

Here's a guide to finding and posting log files just in case you need it:
    Forum/How_to_post_logs - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

N8jaeger

Portal Member
    April 8, 2009
    Saarbruecken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi lupis,

if you run a lot of services try to give mediaportal a higher priority (p.e. "above normal"). also be sure to use at least .NET framework 3.5 with SP1 (search for ".net framework 3.5 sp1 redistributable" with google) AND install the post-installations for .NET 3.5 (see microsofts recommendations on the download site). there are some known issues with 3.5 - not only MP specific.

Lupismaximus

Portal Member
    April 13, 2009
    Home Country
    <N8jaeger> I will look into what .NET framework I have installed, and follow your recommenations surrounding the priority level I have it set at.

<etheesdad> I didn't know that MP 1.1 was out. I only see download links to 1.01. Although I agree that some new versions would improve some features, I don't feel this is the root of my problem. I have something conflicting with MP that is causing the lag. I don't know if it is because I am running DirectX 10, or my .Net version, like N8jaeger mentioned. It also could be my personal FW blocking something, but not likely, since I have no problems with programs like XBMC.

<DCWP> I will check the log files. MP is new to me, so I am still trying to figure this all out. I appreciate the heads up on being able to post log files.

kotd

April 14, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey Lupis,

Not only can you set the priority level for your MP, but try setting its Affinity to CPU, as your running a Quad Core system, setting MP to run say on CPU 4 with Realtime may give it the edge it needs.

Not to show you have to do things but just incase.

Task manager > Processes > Right Click Mediaportal process > Set Affinity > Remove Ticks from all but your selected CPU > Right Click Mediaportal process > Set Priority > Real Time.

This may just settle your system down with Media Portal. I agree with about ensure your .Net is all updated and supporting files are installed to.

Godd Luck

bully

April 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Menu hangs every few minutes

I tried to set the mediaportal process to get real time access to my core duo CPU but problem still remains. I use Vista Ultimate 32 bit on a Gygabyte H971 HW.

N8jaeger

Portal Member
    April 8, 2009
    Saarbruecken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    perhaps you both should give us a hint what you really mean with "menu hangs" or "lags". you press p.e. the arrow up key in the main menu and you have to wait more than 1-2 seconds or is it just that it doesnt recognize the commands immediately? a small delay is always possible, but should not be more than 1sec, i think (again: not MP specific, only general experience).

another thing i want to say is that a htpc is a more or less specific and specialized piece of hard- and software and the combination of installed hard- AND software is more important than for other "normal" systems. it's not a good idea to have your system running for years with tons of software and services installed, waking up on a sunny morning and try to install a media center software like mediaportal with the hope everything is running perfect. if you have the possibility to do so: install a fresh system with the requirements written down in the mediaportal manual. nothing more, nothing less. perhaps you can use a parallel installation in another partition on your hard disk.

if you want to use a htpc software only for the next weekend's party the better solution would be to use a normal media player with stunning skins, effects and visualizations ;-)

just my 2 cents

bully

April 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Menu hangs every few seconds

It is exactly like you described...menu just hangs every few seconds for ~5-10 seconds before you can continue to use the arrows. I heard that one of the latest SVN builds addressed such problem but the SVN builds are currently not available for download...

N8jaeger

Portal Member
    April 8, 2009
    Saarbruecken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hm... i am new here in the community and doesnt know if there is a known problem with that. what i can say is that i installed mediaportal the 1st time on my "every day" system and had the same problems like you. but after the installation of the "real" htpc (new equipment) everything was fine - until now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom