Experiencing Menu LAG- HELP! (1 Viewer)

Lupismaximus

Portal Member
April 13, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I hear what you are saying regarding installing MP on a system and expecting everything to work, but I haven't experienced this with any other front end I have tried (XBMC, SageTV, etc..)

How you described the lag is exactly what I experience. No matter if I use the mouse to navigate or arrow keys, it takes a good 3 secs before my action is registered and processed. This is very odd, because all other front ends are immediate.

I really want to like MP, based on all the features, but if I can't resolve this basic problem, then I will have to look to alternatives. I would have gone for the XBMC, but it doesn't have the live TV, PVR, or time shifting features that MP has. Sage TV does it all, but I don't want to spend the money beyond what I am investing into my HTPC. Boxee has the lead when it comes to IPTV (hulu) and streaming music (Pandora), but who knows when their Windows based front end will release and again it lacks the live TV features I ultimately seek. I am trying to avoid MS VMC, but it sure is pretty.

I am sure we are doing something wrong, because I see all the posts from other successful users. Also, things may change on a dedicated HTPC, but that build will not be done for a month or so. Then I will be posting on all the other config issues I encounter. LOL

<Bully> Out of curiosity, what version of DirectX are you using? I think that this may have something to do with it, since MP is coded around DX9 and not DX10.

N8jaeger

Portal Member
April 8, 2009
Saarbruecken
Home Country
Germany Germany
i have exactly the same behaviour if i connect to my htpc via ultravnc :p just kidding, but the truth ;)

ok, another suggestion... if a program "hangs" the thread for this program is perhaps blocked because of doing other things. i currently know nothing about the MP internals right now, but i have seen that there is an option to scan p.e. all specified music folders in background for changes. imagine you start MP and there are some changes just in time. copied files... a ftp process... torrents... whatever. what i say, i know nothing about programming details... just brainstorming things here.

i have also seen that mediaportal is caching things in
%systemdrive%\all users\app data\team media portal\media portal\<your skin name> (should be blue3)

you can
a) close MP, try to delete the whole folder <your skin name> and restart MP
b) map the the config path specified above to another location

tip b) is a really nooby thing and just brainstorming again, but perhaps your system drive lags and you have the posiibility to map this path to a faster not so much overloaded (fragmented, ... whatever) hard drive.

to do so open regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Team Media Portal\MediaPortal and adjust the ConfigDir variable.

copy the content from the old path to the new given path. delete the cache folder <your skin name> and restart MP.

i can not try this by my own now - i'm at work. and this "hack" is for sure without any warranty that MP runs with this modification. if not, fall back to the old path variable.

SirLoinOfBee

Portal Member
April 24, 2007
Home Country
I have been using MP for over a year now. I too am suffering from this 'menu lag'. It seems to have gotten worse since I upgraded to MP 1.0.1

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    <Bully> Out of curiosity, what version of DirectX are you using? I think that this may have something to do with it, since MP is coded around DX9 and not DX10.

I doubt it's a directX issue if you're using DX10. I'm on DX 10 with integrated GeForce 9300 and no menu lag to speak of. I suppose you could always try downgrading, but I'll be shocked if that works.

SirLoinOfBee

Portal Member
    April 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Hooray! The TV Server won't start (I no longer use this as I've moved into an area with no digital reception), but entering the password (which must have been lost during the 1.0.1 upgrade?) seems to have fixed the menu lag.

Thanx SpudR!

jdoo

Portal Member
    January 19, 2009
    Home Country
    I had this also. Upgrade from 1.0 to 1.0.1 broke the tvserver connection to the sql server. Resetting the password through the tvserver config shortcut fixed it and the lag went away. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom