Extension Installer V2 | Page 25

Discussion in 'Skins and Plugins Installer (MPEI)' started by dukus, October 5, 2009.

1. seco
    • Team MediaPortal

seco Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 4
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    Actually I have been working on a document that means more a less a complete rewrite of MPEI and major changes to the repository and MP itselfe to allow installation/upgrades inside the MPUI without running into UAC.

Trouble I have is to find dedicated developers willing to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seco
    • Team MediaPortal

seco Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 4
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
    Sounds interesting. Is this document available anywhere for developer review & comments?

5. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    Not yet. I need to polish it a bit further.

I will then move it to the wiki and have a news article about that idea - calling for interested developers in the community.

• Like Like x 1
  6. seco
    • Team MediaPortal

seco Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 4
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
    Does anyone know how installing old versions of MPEI packages should work with Extension Installer? I'm asking because a user had a problem installing Rockstar 2.1.7 where 2.2 is the latest version.

I tested this myself and when I choose older version (2.1.7) from installer it actually tries to install 2.2. In a way this makes sense since the download link I use always points to latest version (here 2.2) and the older version is not available anymore so there is no place where Extension Installer could download 2.1.7 unless it is cached somewhere in MediaPortal servers.

Does this only work when download link is unique per plugin version? Should installation be aborted & user notified if the actual version he is trying to install is not available?

@offbyone ? :)

Last edited: April 26, 2013
  7. seco
    • Team MediaPortal

seco Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 4
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
    Ok, I'm blind. The installer already warns the user if downloaded version is different than user selected.

8. kesar
    • Premium Supporter

kesar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Poland Poland
    Show System Specs
    Sorry, seco but it's not completely true. From my side it looks like this: I update plugin list and then, since I have show compatible versions only, I should see a list of Rockstar versions untill 2.1.8, right? Unfortunately I see full list including 2.2.0 (without 2.1.8) which is weird cause 2.2 isn't compatible with my MP 1.2.3. So when I try to install any (I mean any of those) version of the plugin, I get dependency error, which I described in another topic. I don't get any kind of warning.

9. offbyone
    • Team MediaPortal

offbyone Development Group

Ratings:
    +3,303 / 3
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    If you have a static link to the mpe file and always update the filew "behnd" that link - MPE Installer tool cannot know that - it thinks it downloads an older version but actually gets a newer - and should warn at install.
    In this scenario, only way to install an old version is by explicitly opening a mpe file with double clicking in explorer.

10. seco
    • Team MediaPortal

seco Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 4
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
    Well, yes and no. I've now tested this with both MP 1.2.3 and MP 1.3.0.

For both applies what offbyone said above:

The version that is actually installed is the version where download link points to, for Rockstar always latest, in this case 2.2, no matter what you select in Extension installer.

MP 1.2.3

I don't know why 2.2 is listed since I guess it should not be. But even if you select 2.1.7 it downloads 2.2 like I said above. Since 2.2 is not compatible with MP 1.2.3 you get "DEPENDENCY CHECK ERROR". Sad thing here is that nothing says that 2.2 is actually trying to be installed.

MP 1.3.0

Again, if you select 2.1.7 still 2.2 is downloaded. However now the installer warns the user that the downloaded version is not what user selected.

11. kesar
    • Premium Supporter

kesar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Poland Poland
    Show System Specs

Ok, I get it, although I don't see any logic in this. Why post all version numbers when all point to the same file? Doesn't make sense to me. Not mentioning the incompatible ones, which might be selected for install. MPEI seems flawed a little.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!