External player (1 Viewer)

racerxnet

Portal Member
April 29, 2009
I have been a long time user of Media Portal and finally got around to loading Win7. I am wondering if there is still a way to launch a external player for my videos. I would like to continue to use MadVr with MPC-HC as I was doing before. This is for my video collection.

Thanks,

MAK

racerxnet

Portal Member
April 29, 2009
I have done what has been shown in the guide, but when I play a movie it does not launch MPC-HC. I browse for the executable through MP and double click with no response. Double clicking through c:/program files/x86/mpc.exe will launch the player. Do I need to set permissions? I am on Win7 Pro.

Thanks,

MAK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I browse for the executable through MP and double click with no response.
    Browse for the executable? :confused:
    You should not be attempting to launch the executible in MP - that's not how it is meant to work. The way it is meant to work is: you configure the executable in MP config, then [if configured correctly] MP will launch the executable when you attempt to play a video. MP does not allow you to invoke an external executable directly from within the GUI.

If that doesn't help, I suggest you tell us exactly which section or plugin you are using to play these files, exactly what kinds of files they are, and post log files:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Thanks,
    mm
    :)

racerxnet

Portal Member
    April 29, 2009
    I am running MP with the external player selected and it does not launch MPC-HC after selecting a video. The files are ripped movies with .ifo, .vob. .bup within the folder. I was simply trying to execute MPC-HC from the open (browse) window that MP opens for the external player as a test to see if it would launch. As you stated , MP should launch the player when opening the file if everything is set up correctly. I did follow the directions as stated. I'll run the logging mode in a few minutes.

Thanks for your quick reply.

MAK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

racerxnet

Portal Member
    April 29, 2009
    Hi MM,

I have enabled the external player for DVD's and gave it a try again with the same results. Could you please look at the log file once again.

Thank You,

MAK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmmm, I can reproduce.
    I can get ISO files to play with an external player, no problem. No success with a DVD folder (ifo/vob) though.

@Sebastiii
    It looks like the code is preventing using an external player for DVD folders unless they're actually played from an optical drive.
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/blob/master/mediaportal/Core/Player/g_player.cs#L1517

That code will set bInternalDVD = true, and then the "if" condition below will fail to select the external player.

Is this intentional?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I'm not sure, there is 2 place to setup external player :

For Video :
    upload_2014-4-7_18-38-11.png

And for DVD :